Read below: Am I wrong in my thinking?

• You are right.

Votes: 20 80.0%
  • You are wrong. (Explanation below)

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Other. (Explanation below)

Votes: 3 12.0%

• Total voters
I think you are wrong, but I definitely see where you are coming from.

The way I see it life is a journey. You experience and you learn. I try to focus on my journey and not pass judgement on people for the path they choose. I don't drink, do drugs, gamble, etc. But I run down the road doing 150+ mph. So when I splat myself out on a country road is that any less of a waste than a guy who can't get away from the drugs?

I really understand how you feel. I have had a lot of disadvantages in my life and I still managed to do pretty well. But I never forget that at any moment something could have made me give up, broke my spirit. So when I see someone falter, I just say a prayer for them and keep gettin up.

One day it will be my turn to go and I can only hope I do it in style.

I completely agree with what you say. It is no more irresponsibly to do that than drugs. I have done it :laugh:. I have also stopped doing that. I havent broke 100 in a very long time... I have come to terms that I can still enjoy riding without flying at triple digit speeds and risking permanent injury or death :laugh:

He was not my friend, just someone I saw at work. He was a junior Marine in a different platoon at the time. I was acquaintances with the person that owned the dog he shot. He had many people to go to for help, he was definitely not lacking in the area. I dont really think he had a drug problem perhaps. I think he just got stupid and took to many and thus the consequences followed.

Addiction is not a mental disease. Anyone can be addicted to anything. The stronger minded tend to be the ones not to fall into a pit of addiction but anyone can be reformed from it. I have never touched drugs or even cigarrettes in my life. I am not saying I am some perfect person, but by not doing so I feel that it cannot be hard for others to do the same.
I should just keep my mouth shut but the last 2 sentences you wrote set me off. Unless you have been then don't judge. It is easy for me to pick up a 400 pound motorcycle by myself so it must also be easy for you to do the same? If you do not believe I can do it look at the pictures from the spring bash 2009 or 2010 and you you will see proof that I can do as I say and it was very easy for me so I expect that you can do the same just as easily. According to your statement that is how it is.

I should just keep my mouth shut but the last 2 sentences you wrote set me off. Unless you have been then don't judge. It is easy for me to pick up a 400 pound motorcycle by myself so it must also be easy for you to do the same? If you do not believe I can do it look at the pictures from the spring bash 2009 or 2010 and you you will see proof that I can do as I say and it was very easy for me so I expect that you can do the same just as easily. According to your statement that is how it is.

Well that is too bad it set you off. Emotion usually ruins discussion. I did not say it would be easy. I said "it cannot be hard", meaning that it is certainly possible for people to have self-control.

You picking up a 400 pound motorcycle and me not being able to means one of two things. You have worked hard to be strong, or you are of a natural large size allowing you to naturally have more strength than most. In relation to the original topic using your example, some people are born more mentally strong than others meaning it is easier for the mentally weak to fall into into addiction than others? Is that what you are getting at? I kind of get the example but physical limitations are much more strict than mental limitations

I completely agree with what you say. It is no more irresponsibly to do that than drugs. I have done it :laugh:. I have also stopped doing that. I havent broke 100 in a very long time... I have come to terms that I can still enjoy riding without flying at triple digit speeds and risking permanent injury or death :laugh:

Agreed, I am a lot more careful than I used to be too. But swinging a leg over a motorcycle no matter how safe you ride is a risk. Everytime a biker goes down there is someone in a car who says he was taking a stupid risk. We all have our crosses to bear, you should just hope you are strong enough when your turn comes up.

I'm not sure about the mentally strong being less prone to addiction, I've got no proof, but it seems unlikely.

Also using addiction as an excuse, I'm sure people do this, but again not all of them.

Also mental problems can affect anyone, and I hope no one every has this experience.

I'm not sure about the mentally strong being less prone to addiction, I've got no proof, but it seems unlikely.

Also using addiction as an excuse, I'm sure people do this, but again not all of them.

Also mental problems can affect anyone, and I hope no one every has this experience.

I took percosets when I broke my leg for about a week when I broke my leg. I was getting fevers (99-100, enough to make you feel really uncomfortable) then took ibuprofen to get rid of the fevers and it did nothing but if I would take another percoset the fever would go away. I rationalized that I was having a withdrawal from the percoset and just had to deal with the higher temperature for a couple days until it stopped.

well i can tell you from first hand experience that addiction is a manageable disease. recognizing it as a disease is not to ever excuse behavior. the purpose is for the RECOVERING addict to NEVER forget that he suffers from an incurable disease. a disease of mind, body, and spirit. one that once indulged will assuredly cause harm to themselves and others. i have been clean for 10+ years. i KNOW that i cant EVER gamble with just one hit, drink... whatever. just stopping is rarely enough. if a new solution is not learned the addict will use again.

i know that when i was beaten badly enough by the disease of addiction... i stopped. i surrendered to the fact that i cannot control my using.

is it weak people that suffer? weak and strong alike are brought to their knees. is it mentally challenged? genius, and idiot alike are also prone. addiction can take anyone.

Back