Am I Thinking Right?

BigBSBusa

Comin' back stronger than ever!
Donating Member
Registered
Okay, got another bike issue. Better yet - another starting issue! :lol: Different bike though, so not so bad. Alright, about a month ago as I was debating going to the Bash I got Baby J cranked up. Took a little bit, but she hadn't really been run in quite a while. Took her down the block and realized I needed to adjust the brakes, but no other problems.

Fast forward to now. Midnight is running great, so I decide to tackle the brakes on Baby J. Go out to start her up and she cranks, but won't turn over. I know what you're thinking - here we go again. Actually wish it were that simple. Maybe the battery is low, so I charge it up overnight and voltage reading is good (12.7V off, 12.5V on). Turn the bike on - dash lights work, gauge needles sweep, starter relay clicks, BUT NO FUEL PUMP! Check the kill switch and its on - retry and still no fuel pump. Check fuse - good, check fuel relay - good, check kickstand switch - good, check ECU - good, check connections - good, check turn signal/sidestand relay - good. Try between checks and nothing from the fuel pump and no codes.

Anything else I might try before assuming its the fuel pump gone bad? Is it the fuel pump? When the ignition is turned on and the gauges sweep the fuel indicator indicates a half a tank (which is correct as I put that much in it on Saturday) and when I disconnect the fuel pump it sits below empty.

As far as mods I have done nothing to the engine, but do have a PCIIIR and a GiPro. Disconnected both and no change.

Just want to make sure its the fuel pump before I get another and go through the process of removing and reinstalling. Thanks in advance.

sounds to me like a fuel pump...you can put 12 volts to it manually and see if it will run...make sure you check wire diagram for wich color wires do what, i believe there is a ground a sending wire from gas guage and the pump + wire 3 total

sounds to me like a fuel pump...you can put 12 volts to it manually and see if it will run...make sure you check wire diagram for wich color wires do what, i believe there is a ground a sending wire from gas guage and the pump + wire 3 total

Actually did that. Yellow/Red(Orange) wire for power and still nothing.

What is the voltage, while your cranking the bike?

What is the voltage, while your cranking the bike?

11.7V when I last checked, John. She has had the trickle charger on her constantly for the last couple of days, so I didn't check even while troubleshooting.

double check the ground leg of the pump too... if you 'hotwired' the pump and it did not spin up, add a ground wire too.. if still no pump, yank the pump and try it outside the tank.. (please be safe with wires and gasoline)..

double check the ground leg of the pump too... if you 'hotwired' the pump and it did not spin up, add a ground wire too.. if still no pump, yank the pump and try it outside the tank.. (please be safe with wires and gasoline)..

Thanks, Randy. I don't like the combination of electricity and combustible liquids either.

Replaced the fuel pump and spark plugs (just because) and she started right up. She's breathin' again! :thumbsup:

Replaced the fuel pump and spark plugs (just because) and she started right up. She's breathin' again! :thumbsup:

Awesome Ken! Glad to hear!:thumbsup:
Didn't wanna see you go thru another discouragement and have to ditch 'ol Baby J!! You know she makes history around these parts Bro :beerchug:

Did you have any symptoms of it failing or did it just stop working altogether.

Had a little trouble, but attributed it to lack of use. The fuel pump would always prime, so didn't too much else about it which is why it was very strange.

Back