Am I paranoid?? Is the end near?

dane789

Registered
My wife and I have been having regular conversations about our economic future. We have seen our home value take a huge dive, our investments have crashed and our dreams of a future happy retirement have been put in question. How bad can things get?? I've read a lot about the inevitable economic and social crash that is headed our way. Is it possible that it can really happen here in America?? Will there be riots?? Food lines??

I'm wondering if we really should start buying and storing canned goods and dry goods to prepare for the shortages that will come when the U.S. economy collapses. Should I hide clean drinking water in the basement? Do I buy guns and ammo? A weeks supply of food and water? What good would that do? Maybe a months worth? Six months worth? Am I paranoid? Am I all alone in my concerns?

I don't want to be considered one of those "NUT JOBS" that thinks the world is coming to an end. But I think I might start putting a plan together just in case.

Opinions please.....

Well I don't watch the news, I'm sure the fear mongers have been having a ball lately with the riots all over the world.

Enjoy life, the world ends at 12:00 noon eastern standard time :whistle:

:laugh:

My wife and I have been having regular conversations about our economic future. We have seen our home value take a huge dive, our investments have crashed and our dreams of a future happy retirement have been put in question. How bad can things get?? I've read a lot about the inevitable economic and social crash that is headed our way. Is it possible that it can really happen here in America?? Will there be riots?? Food lines??

I'm wondering if we really should start buying and storing canned goods and dry goods to prepare for the shortages that will come when the U.S. economy collapses. Should I hide clean drinking water in the basement? Do I buy guns and ammo? A weeks supply of food and water? What good would that do? Maybe a months worth? Six months worth? Am I paranoid? Am I all alone in my concerns?

I don't want to be considered one of those "NUT JOBS" that thinks the world is coming to an end. But I think I might start putting a plan together just in case.

Opinions please.....

<image removed>

God forbid that would happen so my advice would be start stock pilling fuel so you don't have to stop riding your 'busa!:beerchug:

if you have enough ammo....

you don't need to stockpile food or water, it will be readily available from those that did.

I have thought about this a lot lately (and posted about it elsewhere recently). If it crap hit the fan, you'd need in the short term:

Food Source: Stockpiling some canned staples might not be a bad idea, until you had a place to grow your own food.

Water Source: I think our water will be ok because it's hard to store and we have some decent public sources, but an emergency filtration unit might not be such a bad idea.

WEAPONS/AMMO: Because you may need to hunt, and others who didn't plan ahead like you are likely to try and take it away from you...

A place out of the city: that's were it's gonna get really bad at.

We take a lot of our modern conveniences (Clean, running water, heat and electricity) for granted. You wanna see something REALLY scary, turn on your TV and watch the movie "The Road" that's been on cable lately. I've had a lot of bad dreams since watching that.

Cash! have cash. the world is not going to stop because were out of gas, food, water. its going to freak out when no one can get to there money.

I have direct deposit, all my bills are paid online, all my purchases are debit card or instant transfers. even my kids allowances are kept in an Excel and when they want to spend it I take them to the store. that will change soon with my 12 year old. but really I don't know when the last time I seen cash.

I can hunt, fish and farm.(thanks dad). when the world comes to a civilized end, a primal instinct will kick in.

excuse my grammar if any, to hard to be on the computer, my phone and work at the same time.

the world ending like we know it might not be a bad thing...
Posted via Mobile Device

Busa186,
If the global value of the U.S. dollar crashes, what good is U.S.cash? You can't feed your kids a wad of dollar bills for dinner. What good is $5 bill when the store shelves are empty......... OMG !!!! Yes!!!! MAYBE I AM PARANOID !!!!

Cash? Not paper cash, you'll be using them for toilet paper....Gold/Silver or other precious metals, or even food/ammo (in barter)....

What I worry about most is my savings sitting in the bank every day losing value, when I could go buy a bunch of canned food which might be worth more in the long run....

Your money won't lose all of its value right away. Milk might cost $20 a gallon. But I think of you have a paychecks worth of cash at home. That will get you on your way.

You find the article with Ashton kutcher. He talks about training 2/3 hours a day to get in shape for the apocalypse... your not alone. Just don't forget your foil hat and rain boots.:)
Posted via Mobile Device

yeah- crap is gettin outta hand, might not be a bad idea to prepare for the worst/hope for the best/ and deal with whatever actually comes.

oh and yes- you probably are paranoid, but thats ok- i deal with mine...:whistle:

back in the late 70s I remember a semi truck pulling into my driveway as a kid thinking holy crap whats going on ??? Shortly there after my parents came out and the driver and his assistant started moving pallets and pallets of boxes into the garage, literally half a semi full or more. Over the next few weeks I was tasked with moving that mountain of boxes from the garage into the basement, looking at the boxes and finding it was all dry/dehydrated food stuffs I was wondering WTF. Now my parents, my dad in particular could be called frugal :whistle: so I thought well dad was just being weird.....

Fast forward to a few weeks ago....

They are thinking about doing it again, only this time they explained why they had done it the first time. Turns out they were just as worried then as it seems some folks are now. The fuel issues in the late 70s were similar to now, the food costs started to go up just like they are now. My parents were afraid that even if they could afford to go to the store to get food, that there would be little food there or what was there would be extremely expensive....sound familiar?

I've noticed just on a 2L of pepsi a .30 increase over the past 4-5months. Eggs, milk, bread... meat of most any type.... all of it has increased almost 30-40% in cost. My average week at the store for the family of 4 was $120-130, now its easily $170-190 for essentially the exact same stuff.

I'm not saying I'm gonna have a truck load of dried food delivered (yet) but I've certainly started clearing space in the yard for a garden. :thumbsup:

Skydivr,
IF you're gonna get canned green beans (or any veggies for that matter)to stash away, I'm told to get the ones without salt. The water they are packed in will quench your thirst where as the salted kind will leave you thirsty. Yes, I'm doing my homework already.......

Opinions please.....

Here's the reason why things are the way they are my friend......det45

obama.jpg

pelosi.jpg

justplainstupid!.jpg

carter.png

Scary 2.jpg

If the world goes to hell, i'll be somewhere on a mountain in northern arizona. If anyone wants to join me, more than welcome!!!!!:beerchug:

Get a smart phone, I think they do the hunting and cooking for you now~!~ :whistle:

Back