Am I Just a Wimp?

Skak

Registered
Anyone have any shortcuts or gotchas for removing this darn thing? I want to get my new sprockets and chain on so I can go riding.

Anyone?

Thanks.

I used a small screw driver and dropped it through the chain and used the swing arm as its brace then normal thread rotation. I also used and 18" breaker bar so it was very easy.

Yeah, I couldnt get it off either. You need an impact wrench. That thing is on there REALLY good

I used a 2 x 4 wedged inbetween the rear sprocket and chain. Crude but it worked.

Impact is cool, but I got the sucker off by...

(Keep bike off stands.)

1. Use a long medal bar wrapped with a towel to throw through the rear wheel and have it sit on top of the swingarm. (I used the hydro jack bar.) Make sure the wheel is all the way to the bar, so that there is no more slack for the rear to turn... (This will keep the sprocket from turning...)

2. Use a nice long torque wrench or rachet and give it some elbow grease...
biggrin.gif

Cloud

(Cloud9 @ May 21 2007,13:32) Impact is cool, but I got the sucker off by...

(Keep bike off stands.)

1. Use a long medal bar wrapped with a towel to throw through the rear wheel and have it sit on top of the swingarm. (I used the hydro jack bar.) Make sure the wheel is all the way to the bar, so that there is no more slack for the rear to turn... (This will keep the sprocket from turning...)

2. Use a nice long torque wrench or rachet and give it some elbow grease...
biggrin.gif

Cloud
That sounds like the ticket.
Going to go that route myself.

Thanks for the tip!!!

Here is my method, helps if you have a friend:

Get access to the front sprocket, have your friend hold the rear brake down. The chain will help keep the sprocket from moving. Get a sturdy breaker bar and put some elbow grease on it. Once you break the nut loose, then you can loosen the rear wheel and remove the chain. Tightening the sprocket nut is way easier and I did it with just a torque wrench.

You guys are right on. Sent the wife out for an impact driver and had the darn thing off in 5 minutes.

Thanks a lot!

Back