aluminum vs. titanium and carbon fiber

BusaBill

Donating Member
Registered
Which is better in mufflers and for what application? Because some of these carbon fiber cans say not for high speed use and repeated dyno use. I'm on the verge of ordering my bolt-ons and Hindle sells them in aluminum, carbon, and carbon/titanium for $520, $896 and $680, respectively. I'm just lookin' for sound at the moment until I get up enough money to purchase a whole system with a PC. Thanks guys!

The down side to Bolt on's for the Busa are they cost almost as much as a full system. That's why there is not a great selection available. Your best bet is to go with titanium. It dissapates heat very well and is far lighter than stainless. As far as mufflers go its your choice between carbon or Ti. The BDE Hindle is a bargain at $900 for the ti compared to other systems. I would just hold out till' the funds are available. My .02

Btw, most of the restriction is in your head pipes on the Busa, so don't expect a big gain in performance.

GNT hit the nail on the head...  don't pay $896 for freakin slipons d00d.... for $890 you can get a BDE system with Ti can... and will produce 3x more hp than slipons will gain you AND give you the sound you're lookin for.
tounge.gif

<!--EDIT|fstbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1078964239 -->

Blue, it really depends on what you're wanting out of you mufs. If you just want increases in sound (which I hope you do) you can research and find some after marker bolt ons that are reasonable.

I checked with
www.pipecity.com
www.starcycle.com

and they were quoting me $200 per can for bolt on Ti D&Ds. Now for me that was wwwwoooooohhhhooooooooo. But, instead I found a used pair in Ebay for $200 (pair) he he he. Anyway get yourself a cycle world and look in the ads (last 5-10 pages) and check out the different venders.
If you're looking for increased performance BOLT ONS AIN'T THE WAY TO GO. If you're looking for a little increase in sound they may be (THAT'S WHY I BE BOLTN) for now anyway.

Hope this helped

<!--EDIT|BigDawg_03Busa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1078974472 -->

bigdawg_falcon.jpg

bolt ons are just sound and looks . I'm waiting to get the whole thing .

Yeah But once again you full system folks are failing to explain that you will Have to have a Power Commander, Dyno Time, plus time to remove the PAIR, and get all the plastics back on etc... So to say that a full sytem costs the same as slip ons is not accurate.

BUT, slip ons will give you maybe 2HP MAX, and you might loose 10lbs. Otherwise they sound neat and take 15 minutes to put on. No real performance gain...

So the Full sytem $869, the Bolt ons are $890. But once they are installed and running and good to go, you need to add $200 for Dyno Tuning, $300 or so for a PC, $30 or so for block off plates, plus all the extra time taken to install the full system VS bolt ons... BUT You get serious paower returns....

Though the costs are not equal...

Rev

Plus with a full system(one with a single pipe) you can drop 20 pounds off the bike. That alone would seem worth it to me.

Heck do what I did, No real performance gain, maybe 6-8 lbs of weight lost, but still makes the bike feel and SOUND sOOOO much better with very little hassle. So, if your happy with the way your bike performs, find some good used bolts on's off the board or on ebay. Maybe head over to Yoshimura or D&D if you like it loud. Spend about $600 for a pair of Stainless Bolt ons and enjoy the sounds. Then later on, assuming you decide to go to a full system, you sell the pipes you have for about 2/3rds what you paid, add a few hundred Bucks and you have your full system.

It really comes down to what YOU are looking for. Hungry for more performance and power? Have to get a full system, no way around it. Want to give your bike a nice sound without any hassle, AND NO REAL PERFORMANCE GAIN? Get some Bolt on's and don't look back.

My biggest point would be that Bolt ons are super easy, literally 15-20 minute job and your done. Full system requires some real work, extra parts, and some tuning but you will get real power gains... like 10-15 horses I believe prolly more with BDE...

So its what you want... Oh and looks? I like the Dual exhaust look a whole lot, so for now Bolt ons were the easy, hassle free answer for me, But HMF makes a dual exhaust High mount full system that is the cats ass!!!

_RevsNewPipespost02.jpg

I just got my bde full system from tom at veltune and cant wait to put it on.It does require that you spend a little more $$$$ for the pc3r,pair block offs...but is gonna be so worth it!!!!Just took the busa for its last ride today being completely stock!!Coming apart saturday morning
biggrin.gif

Titanium full system, all the way. You'll spend more now, but it's better than buying the bolt ons and then going back and buying the full system, trust me I know.
cool.gif

QWKSHT,,, U WILL LOVE THE BDE ONCE U GET IT ON ... U DONT HAVE TO BUY A PCIIIR ETC... FOR THE FULL SYSTEM ... IF A TUNER HAS A TECKA USUALLY $75.00 TO MAP. BDE IS THE NUTS...
biggrin.gif

Back