Aluminum Vs Steel Extended Swingarm

solarbarack

Donating Member
Registered
A guy I know makes some nice custom bike parts. We where talking the other day about it and the topic of extended swingarms came up. He said he could do aluminum or steel. The problem I'm having is, my boy works for an industrial chrome facility, if I go steel he could chrome it for me for next to nothing. If I go aluminum I could keep the weight down (or lose 20lbs). probably not going to happen, but my boy can't chrome aluminum. What would you go with and why?

The thing I never liked about chrome over steel is it starts to show surface rust. This dont happen with aluminum.

I don't know what the diffeence is in the quality of chrome though, as it's an industrial plant. I would assume it might not face the rust problems.

definitely a question you want to ask him.

Another thing to consider is that the swingarm is unsprung weight, and if you go steel, the heavier arm is not going to allow the suspension to respond as quickly.

definitely a question you want to ask him.  

Another thing to consider is that the swingarm is unsprung weight, and if you go steel, the heavier arm is not going to allow the suspension to respond as quickly.
That's something I didn't even consider thanks. I just hate the fact that I have an option to chrome anything I want for almost nothing, and it's killing me trying to figure out what to chrome because of this.

alot of swingarms can be purchased already chromed. You can prob even pickup a used one that's already been chromed too. Go with a respectable swingarm company AND a respectable chroming company. There's times when it makes sense to save a buck but not all the time.

The fabricator does great work, and the chrome facility ships their work around the world. I was just trying to figure out a way to take advantage of both. Guess you can't always have your cake and eat it too.

Aluminum can be chromed. Maybe there's different steps to chroming aluminum vs steel. Meaning that if you were to try and chromplate an aluminum piece using steps for a steel product, it may have an adverse affect. I'm not a chromer so i don't know.

Back