Aluminum utility trailers

TheAtomicAss

Registered
So, I'm possibly going to be in the market for a utility trailer in the future, and I'm debating on getting an aluminum trailer. I'm aware that aluminum is going to be much more susceptible to metal fatigue than would a steel trailer, but I don't know what the practical lifespan would be for aluminum. I'm also contemplating an aluminum floor instead of wood for additional weight savings. (The only company I see that offers this is Sport Haven, but I've only seen them, Ridgeline and Aluma, so if there are any other brands to look at, let me know)

If you run an aluminum utility, I'd be interested to know how long you've had it, how much and how often you abuse it, and whether you've broken one in the past.

I know many people who have aluminum trailers, it all depends what you are using it for as to how it stands up.

I'd stick to wood floors for durability, especially if you ever haul anything like bricks or rocks as they will damage the aluminum floor real quick.

I do know the more expensive trailers are the better ones, if you go cheap often they are a lighter gauge and will not stand up.

Can't speak to utility trailers specifically, but aluminum holds up just fine as dump and flatbed trailer material in the trucking business where a lower tare weight is preferable. As stated above I'd stick with a wood floor if you're hauling anything with angles or sharp edges, our dump trailers were lined.

Can't speak to utility trailers specifically, but aluminum holds up just fine as dump and flatbed trailer material in the trucking business where a lower tare weight is preferable. As stated above I'd stick with a wood floor if you're hauling anything with angles or sharp edges, our dump trailers were lined.
That makes sense they'd be lined... But now I'm curious what they would line them with.

Back