Aluminum Throttle Tube

nintastio

Registered
I recently removed the chromed out grips on my bike and realized the throttle tube is made of aluminum. I have a set of Progrips set to be delivered today but curious if I should switch out to a plastic stock throttle tube before I put the new grips on? I know you normally don't want to lube a throttle tube, but for these aluminum ones are they supposed to be lubed?

And because everything is better with pictures:

IMG_4578[1].JPG

It feels like stock throw, I'm just not sure about an aluminum tube. Seems like a stock plastic one would be smoother and was looking for opinions.

Nah, only thing is what @GIXERHP said.
If you replace it with stock, you'll end up with a longer pull to wide open.
That's not a bad thing either, it's just a preference, and if you like what you have now, you should leave it.
I would put some white lithium grease on the bar/under the tube too.

The grip felt slightly gritty but wasn't horrible so I cleaned it out real well. The lubricant had become pretty dry and full of dust but after cleaning it and using some dry lubricant it feels much worse. I've never used any type of lube on a throttle tube but I've also never had a metal one.

But I agree @sixpack577 this one definitely feels like it needs some white lithium or something. I went ahead and ordered an OEM tube since they are fairly cheap. The throttle is not something I want to cause me issues so I will probably just switch it out for the OEM one.

The grip felt slightly gritty but wasn't horrible so I cleaned it out real well. The lubricant had become pretty dry and full of dust but after cleaning it and using some dry lubricant it feels much worse. I've never used any type of lube on a throttle tube but I've also never had a metal one.

But I agree @sixpack577 this one definitely feels like it needs some white lithium or something. I went ahead and ordered an OEM tube since they are fairly cheap. The throttle is not something I want to cause me issues so I will probably just switch it out for the OEM one.

Definately, if it makes you uncomfortable, that will haunt you when you ride, regardless if it ever gives you any problems, so good call on replacing it.
You don't need anything stealing your focus.

I can see situation where a reduced throw would be beneficial for sure, but not something I need currently. The throw of the aluminum tube I have feels fine, I just don't like that it's not perfectly smooth. It may be fine with some lubricant, but then I have the worry about dirt and dust getting stuck to it.

I have used powdered graphite dry lube on my throttle tube in the past. It's probably not as slippery as a paste but it won't hold any dirt that might get in there either. I've never heard of a worn out throttle tube so I don't know that the lube is real important. It's not like the thing fits the bar tight enough to stick.

The throw of the aluminum tube I have feels fine, I just don't like that it's not perfectly smooth. It may be fine with some lubricant, but then I have the worry about dirt and dust getting stuck to it.
If the aluminum tube feels rough when you turn it, I'll bet it's worn. Plastic probably wears smoother. If the aluminum tube has wear in it, I doubt a dry lube will help much and I don't think any kind of lube will prevent further wear or slow it down much. ...come to think of it, the handle bars look like they are aluminum. If the aluminum throttle tube is grinding, so is the handlebar.

I have used powdered graphite dry lube on my throttle tube in the past. It's probably not as slippery as a paste but it won't hold any dirt that might get in there either. I've never heard of a worn out throttle tube so I don't know that the lube is real important. It's not like the thing fits the bar tight enough to stick.

That stuff will clump with moisture

Just sharing info lol
Yeah I appreciate it! Any info is good info in my book.

If the aluminum tube feels rough when you turn it, I'll bet it's worn. Plastic probably wears smoother. If the aluminum tube has wear in it, I doubt a dry lube will help much and I don't think any kind of lube will prevent further wear or slow it down much. ...come to think of it, the handle bars look like they are aluminum. If the aluminum throttle tube is grinding, so is the handlebar.
I think that may be the issue. When I took the aluminum throttle tube off, it is not smooth inside. Luckily the bar still is, but not the throttle tube. I sanded it a bit before I put it back on with some dry lube and it just feels bad now. It wasn't too bad before I took it apart, but it's awful now, lol.
That stuff will clump with moisture
I was a bit worried about that if I got caught in a rain storm or something. I'm sure I am putting waaaay too much thought into this, but I tend to do that sometimes. I'll just replace with stock and be done with it, hopefully.

I've never had a problem with dry graphite lube clumping but I definitely avoid riding in the rain. I did wash that bike a lot though.

As for overthinking, that's not possible as long as you have the time. The best decisions I've made have been the result of overthinking.

Back