aluminum rear sprocket question

novabusa

Registered
Has anyone used a rear Vortex CAT5 Motorcycle Sprocket or other aluminum sprockets on their bike...my mechanic didnt want to install it because he said the the hayabusa had too much torque and said that it would strip it or bend the sprocket and also ruin the chain...thoughts??

If I can get a steel or hybrid of the two i would run that such as a supersprox. But for my two I have steel chrome sprockets.

Has anyone used a rear Vortex CAT5 Motorcycle Sprocket or other aluminum sprockets on their bike...my mechanic didnt want to install it because he said the the hayabusa had too much torque and said that it would strip it or bend the sprocket and also ruin the chain...thoughts??

Listen to your mechanic. He knows what he is talking about. Been there did that.

I would think that the aluminum WOULD strip or bend pretty quick. I'd stick with steel, or diamond encrusted palladium if you have the cheese!

You're gonna get mixed reviews about aluminum sprockets. Some will have nothing but praise and some will hate them. I myself have run a couple on the busa and my tl1000r. I vote for a steel sprocket. :whistle:

Running my first aluminum sprocket. My bike is stock except for a pipe. It is super light compared to the factory sprocket I replaced after 32K miles. I think simple maintenance is important, more so to aluminum than steel. Anyway we'll see if I get 32K out of it.

I've been on this forum for a year or two and I have seen a lot of folks that drag race and run high RWHP speak well of the aluminum. You will get opinions pro and con

Running my first aluminum sprocket. My bike is stock except for a pipe. It is super light compared to the factory sprocket I replaced after 32K miles. I think simple maintenance is important, more so to aluminum than steel. Anyway we'll see if I get 32K out of it.

I've been on this forum for a year or two and I have seen a lot of folks that drag race and run high RWHP speak well of the aluminum. You will get opinions pro and con

This, I think this is one of those topics we don't all agree on. I personally stick with the steel given the power of the motor, that's just me tho.

At 230rwhp (on motor), aluminum works fine for me. Adding the nitrous on top of that is when it starts laying the teeth over after just a few passes. For a stockish bike, I'd go aluminum all day long.

I'm still thinking titanium ONLY FROM THE TITANIC! It didn't stop very well with it, but I'll be I could! :laugh:

Aluminum is fine...unless you are agressive with the throttle.
Then you will break teeth. I had 2 Vortex 46t rear sprockets on my gen2.
Around 1k to 1.5k miles on each, broke 4 teeth on the 1st, 8 teeth on the 2nd.
Then went back to steel, and had no problems at all.

I'm on my sixth hayabusa (All basically stock) all of which were fitted with vortex aluminum sprockets. No issues until the teeth were worn sharp enough to shave with.

You won't have issues with anything vortex makes. First class company making first class products! We run vortex aluminum sprockets on all the race bikes, never an issue!

If you are worried about it, buy yourself a twenty dollar made in Taiwan JT steel sprocket.

At 230rwhp (on motor), aluminum works fine for me. Adding the nitrous on top of that is when it starts laying the teeth over after just a few passes. For a stockish bike, I'd go aluminum all day long.

Id really prefer if you 2 would just agree with my opinion which is loosely based on absolutely nothing.:laugh:

Put a CAT5 on mine and no issues so far but i'm pretty fussy about chain maintenance(also ran aluminum on my turbo bike for over 5,000 miles).:thumbsup:

LMFAO!!!! Tell him I rock 400rwhp with one!!!!

And I will not hesitate to to test it to 650rwhp in another month or 2!

I have nothing but good to say about Vortex either. They make alot of good stuff, including sprockets(I just buy their steel ones now).
From a dead stop or slow roll to wide open throttle for standup wheelies is what killed the rear sprockets I had.
Maybe a little more agressive with the throttle than the average rider.:laugh:

I have nothing but good to say about Vortex either. They make alot of good stuff, including sprockets(I just buy their steel ones now).
From a dead stop or slow roll to wide open throttle for standup wheelies is what killed the rear sprockets I had.
Maybe a little more agressive with the throttle than the average rider.:laugh:
I had a friend who rode an older gsxr-1100 at our altitude of 5000ft up with just a pipe and jetting...it was no powerhouse, especially compared to the busa.......but I watched him destroy a brand new Vortex within a few rides of aggressive riding....he loves to clutch up wheelies, fan the clutch and light up the rear etc. I was literally dodging teeth on our last ride. He went back to steel and his sprocket lasted till he sold the bike.
Because of that my turbo zx14, modded busa, and modded gsxr-1100 all get quality steel sprockets. If a high quality aluminum sprocket can't handle that abuse on a comparitively low hp sportbike at a power sapping 5000ft up in elevation.....I won't trust it to last the long haul on a busa :no:

Back