AlpineStar SMX Plus

rubber2burn

Donating Member
Registered
Ok thought I would do another review of another product that I have purchased. A few months ago I purchased a set of Alpinestar SMX Plus Racing boots well here is what I think about the boot. They are great looking boots and are ok as far as comfort goes. Here is the real killer for the Alpinestar SMX Plus boots they are very noisey they squeak so bad it it is annoying and there is nothing you can do that I know of or heard of for that matter to get them to stop. So with that said if I had it to do all over again I would go with the Sidi or Oxstar racing boots because they do not make all the noise. Also if someone else has this version of the Alpinestar boots and has gotten them to quit squeaking please fill me in PLEASE!!!

The way to get them to stop squeaking is to lubricate the inner and outer ankle-coverings with some vaseline or other long-lasting lubricant.

Now, I know what you're thinking...but I'd avoid using Astroglide. as it's probably not the 'strangely familiar' odor you want wafting across your friend's noses as you pound down the road...  
laugh.gif

I have two pair of the SMX boots, and this works like a charm.

+1000000 Mine squeak so loud that on early mornings while the family is still asleep, I put on my boots in the garage. The SMX's are SUPER noisy.

DD

The way to get them to stop squeaking is to lubricate the inner and outer ankle-coverings with some vaseline or other long-lasting lubricant.

Now, I know what you're thinking...but I'd avoid using Astroglide. as it's probably not the 'strangely familiar' odor you want wafting across your friend's noses as you pound down the road...  
laugh.gif

Scar i tried that already and it did not work on mine brotha man.  DD same here I can not even put them on in the house in the morning with out fear I will wake my son up they are that loud.  If I had to rate these boots on a five star level 1 being the worst and 5 being the best I would have to give them a 1.  The Zipper construction Suxs, They squeak, and if you have big calfs like my self they are harder to get strapped in the back.  Also I have a buddy at the shop we bought our boot at the same time and this guy is a real knee dragger spend allot of time at the track he took a turn at the last track day and the toe slider was ground of in a matter of seconds and came off and when that happened it destroyed the side of the boot as well.  I recommend to any one that reads this and is in the market to but boots do not spend your money on Alpinestar SMX Plus Boots get your self a set of Sidi's or Oxstars they are better constructed and they don't Squeak like the Alpinestars.

laugh.gif

Scar i tried that already and it did not work on mine brotha man.  DD same here I can not even put them on in the house in the morning with out fear I will wake my son up they are that loud.  If I had to rate these boots on a five star level 1 being the worst and 5 being the best I would have to give them a 1.  The Zipper construction Suxs, and They squeak.  Also I have a buddy at the shop we bought our boot at the same time and this guy is a real knee dragger spend allot of time at the track he took a turn at the last track day and the toe slider was ground of in a matter of seconds and came off and when that happened it destroyed the side of the boot as well.  I recommend to any one that reads this and is in the market to but boots do not spend your money on Alpinestar SMX Plus Boots get your self a set of Sidi's or Oxstars they are better constructed and they don't Squeak like the Alpinestars.
I totally support your review, yo. Your comments are spot-on; though I have had the unfortunate occasion to crash in a pair, and they did a good job protecting my shizzle.

I love mine. Yeah, mine make noise too when walking, but I bought them to ride in & protect me if I go down. The zipper on mine was a little hard to zip initially, but after breaking them in for a bit, now it's really smooth. They seem to provide really good protective features, haven't had to test yet. My feeling on them was if pro-level riders use them & so many walk away from high speed crashes, they would be good for me too. My feet & ankles are very important to me with needing to walk around & all, so I'm willing to put up with some noise from them, small price to pay for protection. If you walk around in your boots alot & noise will bother you, these may not be the boots for you. After all they are designed to be Racing boots, not sport touring, etc..., so they aren't really made for walking much.

I love mine. Yeah, mine make noise too when walking, but I bought them to ride in & protect me if I go down. The zipper on mine was a little hard to zip initially, but after breaking them in for a bit, now it's really smooth. They  seem to provide really good protective features, haven't had to test yet. My feeling on them was if pro-level riders use them & so many walk away from high speed crashes, they would be good for me too. My feet & ankles are very important to me with needing to walk around & all, so I'm willing to put up with some noise from them, small price to pay for protection. If you walk around in your boots alot & noise will bother you, these may not be the boots for you. After all they are designed to be Racing boots, not sport touring, etc..., so they aren't really made for walking much.
Eric: I agree with your 'take' as well; in fact, the noise my boots make actually incite comments from people and are a great conversation starter!

laugh.gif

Hey Ruber2burn, I used to use spray silicon on the squeaky parts of my old Oxstars. The only problem is you have to keep spraying them from time to time Bro. Merry Christmas to you, I will see you in the Spring for some riding.

I also have big calves. The Sidi Vertigos are great, very adjustible.

DSCF0689__Medium_.JPG

I've got SMX+ as well. they are a bit loud but what really grabs my Shizzle is that the zippers are so hard to get up. It's a real pain to have to sit down on the ground to get the boots on.... but I do it anyway!
Probably would be easier if I could bend a bit but "old" has taken over!!!

I have pretty good luck using water repellent spray for boots once a month to stop the squeaking noises.

Definitely a well constructed, and safe boot.

One thing is for sure, I am going back to Sidi boots. I don't like the way the foot controls feel through my SMX-Plus boots.

Back