almost wrecked the busa today, whew

mikeyusf

Registered
Disclamer: before everyone rips me a new one about how much of a sh*tty rider I am, how stupid I am, how much of a squid I am, and how I dont deserve to ride a busa, please understand that I am writing this post to help my fellow busa riders, so stfu and just read, hopefully you'll take something out of it

With that said, I pulled up to a traffic light. I usually pick either the "left" or "right" side of the traffic lane. For some reason, this time I stayed in the middle.

When I went to take off, my rear tire was completely coated in grease and water. I hit the throttle and the rear tire went about 2 feet sideways. I let off the throttle slightly and got the bike back in line, with the tire still spinning. I let off, tried to get back on it and it spun again. Keep in mind I'm barely going walking speed at this point!

I didnt know what happened, I didnt know if I had a flat, my tire was falling off, or what. I started to push the bike with my tip-toes and walk the bike, got on the throttle again, and felt the rear tire slowly starting to clean off, but it was still all over the road.

I put my hand in the air and waved as if I had trouble, to alert the motorists behind me. I finally started to pick up speed, but since the motorist saw that I had a problem they stayed back and let me pull over. When I pulled over, I saw the crud all over my tire. Basically I did a burnout until the tire cleaned off, and drove off, and very slowly rocked the bike back and forth to clean the tire off.

I dont know what it was, it was dark, sticky, and extremely slippery, and it had to have been about 1" thick puddle on the ground.

Bottom line is this. I shouldnt have parked the bike in the middle lane. That is a HUGE no-no, I should have picked either left or right, but never middle. I didnt panic, I alerted the other motorists, and was lucky enough to save the bike.

Pretty f*ckin scary when it's 90 degrees out and you're rear tire feels like it's on the centerstand! Gave me a little rush. Hope this helps a fellow rider keep the shiny side up

Mike

Disclamer: before everyone rips me a new one about how much of a sh*tty rider I am, how stupid I am, how much of a squid I am, and how I dont deserve to ride a busa, please understand that I am writing this post to help my fellow busa riders, so stfu and just read, hopefully you'll take something out of it
take down your shield, brah!

now I will finish reading.......
rock.gif

That is the first time on this or any other board I have heard someone use that very good safe riding tip - don't ride in the middle of the lane due to oil buildup from cages.

The only time I ride on the middle is open hiways where the ruts are soooooo bad on the sides, and there is no visible danger in the middle.

Glad you were able to smoke that crap off!
smile.gif

Yes Mike that combo of water and oily stuff is incredibly slick. Last Monday I was on Infinieon (Sears Point) raceway in the rain. With all of the oil and intermittent rain it was highly dangerous. 12 bikes went down during the day. One guy dumped it twice on the same lap. You couldn't see the oil but the track is coated with it. Maybe the tire dust acts like oil when wet too. Anyway when coming out of turn 11 to run up to the finish line, I got on it hard. The track was mostly dry but the rear tire lit up and the bike didn't accelerate. Its a bad feeling when you are doing 35-40mph and you are hitting the rev limiter. Fortunately the back end didn't walk out and a smooth throttle reduction allowed it to hook up again.

That goo can cause more damage than sand. Once it dried out we were in the triple digits and the track was very sticky.

Whew, Bro, Makes my palms all sweaty and not in a good way...  What did you need me slotting next to you in the lane to keep you out of the muck?
biggrin.gif
  Damn glad you didn't wrinkle Bessie, We got alot of riding to do yet...

You can bet I am going to be paying closer attention to that center stripe as well.

Glad you didn't Drop it...
kickass.gif

Thanks for the tip... If someone tells you that you don't deserve your bike, he is joking of course.

Everyone should have one Hayabusa!!! Then people would smile a lot more, be friendlier to your fellow driver (caged or not!), it would be a better world :-)

I too have had "issues" with the center of lanes...

I am super happy you didn't drop 'er!

Way to keep the shiny side up man!

I actually put a foot down at a stop light once with that goo on the road and damn near tore a groin muscle tryin' to hold her up.
I also pulled into a parking spot once and hit the curb pretty hard cause of the goo spot (pre-busa)
That stuff scares the crap out of me!

I actually put a foot down at a stop light once with that goo on the road and damn near tore a groin muscle tryin' to hold her up.
I also pulled into a parking spot once and hit the curb pretty hard cause of the goo spot (pre-busa)
That stuff scares the crap out of me!
This is why if possible always use the left side of the lane. When you put your foot down from the right side, guess where your foot ends up? Yep right in the middle lane goo. Unless I'm with someone, always left side....

Mike
Disclaimer... I know what yer sayin' . I know why ya did it. Sometimes u just wanna offer a tip , or a lil' friendly advice . Maybe you've got a question , but it's rhetorical . Whatever . Sometimes the internet seems like a place where sum1 is jus waitin' to jump down yer throat 'bout something .
Thx for the tip....its one we all should know...but sometimes forget . Rubber.

Glad to hear that all went well.  Any advice or heads-ups should be well-taken.

Brian

Thanks like everyone said, for the tip. Some forums are tough and you can expect to get "Flamed" but this is a great group of people here. You offered advice that is valuable from an experience you had. Just wait till I start telling people about all the stupid things I do.
smile.gif
Like the time I stopped at an intersection on my Harley (oh so cool I was) and put my left foot down and fell over right. I got superhuman strength that day and picked it up. Lets just say I never looked back to see the laughter.

Note: The wind that day was blowing from the left to the right and that's what happened I am sure.

Just a little addition to what you said Mike,
Most of the time I try to pick the left side of the lane because there is usually water on the right side from the a/c on the cars. (at least here in Houston)
So everyone keep in mind the situation that is at almost every intersection in America in the summer time.
Wayne

Just wait till I start telling people about all the stupid things I do.
Yeah... Or like the time I was riding a wheelie in front of my high school showing off to the girls... Only, I had a front tire with cords showing... YIKES!

I came down and it blew out like a shotgun blast!
biggrin.gif

Bike flipped (with me)... No helmet (MD allowed this back then). I scrapped my face along the road for a couple of feet and ruined a perfectly good lesiure suit too!

laugh.gif

I know... I'm an idiot!

Glad to hear you OK. Something i cannot understand is that on the Indy DMV test (and most others i think) it asks which part of the lane to ride in, and the "correct" answer isnt the center lane, but its the "right" one on the test.

Back