Almost went down today

Big Bo

Registered
Heading to work I approach a stop sign that T`s to a cross street with no stop signs for the other traffic. This is no problem as I was on a small street wanting to get on to the bigger street to head to work.

OK, as I get near the stop sign I am using my front brake and as usual the rear brake also. I used to ride bicycles and have a habit of applying the rear brake to assit slowing down. I am going at a rather slow speed and the front is going to the side, I get off the front brake, and apply more back brake. Feet down to keep the bike up and the skidding front end is stable? I am wondering WTF?

I look back and there is a piece sheet of metal maybe 10" x 14" laying on the road. I figured the front wheel was sliding with the front brake applied, and when I got off the front brake, the front wheel rolled again and way from the metal sheet. The back brake allowed the bike to slow to a stop. And helped save me from an embarrassing situation.

Oil and sand are not the only things on the road waiting to ruin your day. Be careful.

OH, the other day I was riding and saw a T shapped angle iron piece on the road. If I were not on the freeway I would have removed it.

Glad that you didn`t lose it Big Bo, that would not have been a good start to the day. Kind of irritating the amount of crap you see on the road, last week end a mattress on the interstate and right after that a large blue tarp...pictured me doin` 70mph with a large tarp covering me:laugh:
Between people losing cargo, and litter bugs, makes me wonder how many IF any tickets the po po writes for them kind of violations???

That could have ended badly....good save :thumbsup:

sent from Bama using tapatalk

Glad to hear you lost no paint.

It's those unexpected circumstances on the street that will make a bike go down, especially for those who are front brake professors.

Glad you kept her up. I personally dont know if there is any right or wrong answer for every situation. I shy from the back brake, but I grew up on dirt bikes and I know a good stab on the back lever can get your bike turning in the right conditions. Good job bro and way to stay flexible and adapt to your situation.

Back