almost time to change fork seals myself for the first time

teddypenn

Registered
so ive got almost 30k on my 06 and have never done the seals myself. i dont wanna give the dealership 225 plus parts to do the job; id rather buy what i need in tools and learn myself. what are some tips/tools i'll need to make the job and efficient and corretly done one?

its a huge pita. you better have hercules helping you to push the internals back in while you try to start the nut. it can be done though with homemade tools. me and a friend did 1. the other i took to suzuki and let them do it. just search fork seal replacement and youll find the posts about how to make the tool and all.
i would take to forks off and let the dealer do. if you pull the forks they should do it for less than $225
my .02

There is a much easier way to change your fork seals than what is listed in your suzuki manual. Easy-Squeezy and the only special tool you need is a 8mm long hex head (Allen wrench) with a 3/8 drive. You can buy a set at Harbor Freight for 8 bucks. It takes me about 30 minutes to replace the seals in a fork once it's off the bike.

One man, no struggle job!

Are the seals leaking ? I had a friend pay someone to do his R1, they leaked, he did it the second time around, had a family member rig up a tool, sounds like tuff has a good solution for that. He also talked about using surgical gloves to cover the tops of the tubes to keep them from nicking the new seals.

I need to do mine too there's a good DIY thread on here for doing them I'll see if I can find it for you

Well there was one it had step by step pictures and how to make the tools to do it but I can't seem to find it now maybe someone else will find and post it i'll keep looking too

Back