Almost lost it today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
CTD has an ST1300 with the Honda linked brake system. We were running on some gravel. When he applied some rear brake to slow down a little, it locked up the front for him. I prefer to be able to control my brakes separately since the LBS is setup for "normal" street use. Maybe its better if ABS is added, but not all of the Hondas with LBS also have ABS. I'm sure a computer can do a better job of regulating pad pressure on the rotors than I can, but ABS on my 05 isn't an option that I'm aware of, so I'm stuck with my inferior procedure.

Can we all just agree to disagree at this point?

Even when just going for rear brake your bike is going to nose dive and take weight off the rear tire giving it very little stopping power. But there is a time a place for it. Like on slipery surfaces. Even then you shouldn't be trying to brake any land speed records under these conditions.

your bike does not nose dive when you apply the rear brake...the rear end grabs and sinks. If it raises, it is on the verge of locking.

CTD has an ST1300 with the Honda linked brake system. We were running on some gravel. When he applied some rear brake to slow down a little, it locked up the front for him. I prefer to be able to control my brakes separately since the LBS is setup for "normal" street use. Maybe its better if ABS is added, but not all of the Hondas with LBS also have ABS. I'm sure a computer can do a better job of regulating pad pressure on the rotors than I can, but ABS on my 05 isn't an option that I'm aware of, so I'm stuck with my inferior procedure.

Can we all just agree to disagree at this point?

The point is the procedure of applying and controlling the brakes in a balanced manner. The opposition wants focus on one end and hope it doesn't fail..I can't support that logic.

:rulez:

one.jpg

two.jpg

three.jpg

There are some good points being made on this thread about braking if you people would stop inturpreting what each other says as a personal attack there would be a good source of info here for newbs and seasoned riders.

Now back to the subject ...

I use both front and rear but mostly front, like about 95 front only 5% rear. As I mentioned earlier when I have used too much rear brake, I locked it up and nearly had a serious issue.

I would think for most of us we would want to experiment and see what works best for us. And for those that are trying to brush up on their track skills ...

Trail-Braking
Trail braking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

brake2.jpg

Brakes.jpg

Thread locked. The thread was cleaned up to the best of my ability to remove anything not directly related to the technical aspects of braking techniques with retaining both sides of the argument. There is enough information from both sides for people to make a decision which they want to practice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back