Almost got killed yesterday July 5 on Hwy101 San Jose

Went up to Just Leathers in San Jose to pick up a Issue of Thunder Press Motorcycle Mags and headed North on 880 freeway to Milpidas/Fremont and seen backup on Hwy 880 at Hwy 101 cross over and decided to take Hwy 101 to San Francisco and came off the ramp and merged into traffic when a 4x4 Toyota truck cut in front of me with out making a blinker and also slammed on his brake since some other idiot in front of the truck did not use his blinker when merging.I hit the front brakes and yes they worked good stock and I thought I was going to do my first stoppie in Freeway traffic.Talk about seeing the Toyota emblem on the tailgate up close. Anyways didn't tell my wife since she would have freaked out.Ride safe you all

Glad to hear you and bike are okay. I try to avoid 101 like the plague, as much as I can...too many bozos. Hope you at least gave him the "number one" sign!

Cisco,
Giving you the "Bay Area Traffic sucks and nods with you on the close one" wave.

We shall have to hook up some time and do a local ride... away from traffic.
(Mines Roads is my favorite...)

glad you're ok Cisco

holiday traffic is the worst.

not quite as bad, last night riding home there was water flowing across the high way in about 50 places...about 1" deep with rocks, sticks, etc. not too good at 80...backed it off for the other 49 places...

Cisco, about15-20 years ago, more or less, a guy named Mike Corbin was on a bike heading south out of san Francisco on 101. No traffic.

A guy came across several lanes and deliberately slammed into him, knocking Mike into the rail and almost killing him. As I recall, no one was ever charged, and Mike recovered.

At the time of the accident, Mike was a small mc saddle maker, struggling to make it. Now he is probably the biggest and best in the business and is branching out into electric cars, etc.

It is the people like the guy who hit Corbin who really scare me. They are still out there, but fortunately they are rare.

Ditto that, Omega. Anyone ever deliberately tries to nail me, he better succeed, for his sake.

Good job on the combat riding, Cisco. Lucky nobody was behind you, asleep at the wheel. I've been in that situation before, it's a bad feeling.

Why do I hate 101? Talk about near-death. A few years ago I got off the graveyard shift, hopped on my trusty DR650 thumper and headed for home on 101 South by 3Com/Candelstick Park. I merge into rush hour traffic doing 60 when less than a minute into the ride I hear a huge crash and feel my hands being ripped from the grips something ferocious.

After what seemed like an eternity, I feel my body slam on the tarmac, my Shoei whacking the pavement, and see the road screaming by from the corner of my eye. Fear then kicked in, wondering if I was going to be flattened by a big-rig or auto. I put my hand down and POOF! watch my glove fly off, and I distinctly remember hearing my self say "Fu*k!!!". So, still sliding on my back I try to put my foot down and BANG! my heel catches a lane marker and my body twists and starts rolling. I force my arms out and manage to stop the roll and just let myself slide the rest of the way.

I was so pissed that I felt no pain and hunted down the G-D-S-O-B-M-F! taxi cab driver that almost orphaned my five kids and widowed my loving wife. Just as I was raising my helmet to bash this guys's head in he reeled back and shouted that he was the passenger, not the driver. Just then I felt that warm liquid rolling down and that hot roadrash sensation and the pain starting to kick in. That cooled me off real quick.

Thank GOD I didn't get run over. The CHP bike cops later told me as I was lying on the gurney that I flew over two lanes of cars and landed on the side almost 220 feet from the point of impact and was extremely lucky I wasn't dead. Witnesses said the idiot driver was weaving in and out speeding, I guess trying to get his fare to the airport so he could catch a last one before quitting time. Amazingly no bones were broken.

I must say though that the scariest part of this whole experience was when in the ambulance this trainee EMT started cutting up my pant legs with those sharp scissors and nearly snipped off my manhood. That would have been real ugly!!!

Needless to say I was off bikes for a period of time, and just recently decided that this was the year to get over the fear and trauma. And what better way of self-healing than by buying the biggest, meanest, fastest, quickest MF bike in the world...the Hayabusa!

Ride safe!

Cisco,

Do you have braided lines on your bike?

Glad you didn't get hurt.

That's exactly the same thing that happened to me on the ramp from 17 to 85, only instead of cramming on the brakes (i was looking over my right shoulder to merge) I ended up shooting VERY wide to the left and out of the corner of my eye, saw my right bar end knick his bumper as I looped into the far left lane. I was damn lucky there was a hole in traffic at that moment.

Is there not enough oxygen in California? Just got back from Tahoe, and I knew when we had crossed back into Oregon because I got to see the first usage of a turn signal by a car driver in a week.

The man upstairs obviously aint finished with you yet sonic, ride safe bro.

Didn't put the braided lines on the front of the bike yet,been to busy restoring my 1982 RX-7 for my wife since her bills were getting big,$10,000 visa bill and I made her sell her 98 Toyota car since her monthly payment is $495. Anyway back to the bike issue,I still have to find out what that crazy noise is on my clutch,it is getting louder and also I'm going to order a chain tenioner unit and install it myself and also get the O-ring checked out on my electric fuel pump filter unit. The brakes work real good but it think since I ride everyday I'm use too drivers doing stupid things like not using blinkers, cellphone use when driving, yelling and looling in the back seat of the car at the kids when driving, putting on make-up, reading the stock reports while driving. Only thing I haven't seen yet is having SEX in the car while driving, did see a Hover job once and the guy was smiling alot.Ride safe all and see you at the Laguna Seca Races Sunday July 9, Turn 3 or 5,but will try to park my bike on the island.

Back