Almost died 4 hrs ago ....

G

Slamed onto the side of a transport bus 4 hrs ago ... damn bus sped even faster despite seeing me going straight! I threw the bike sideways and prayed for a moment .... tot i was gonna be crushed under surely. Well ... prayers were answered for me but not for my poor Busa. The whole frt fairing smashed ... HD-lites protector did its job in saving the Hd-lites though ... inner fairing brackets all broken, Rt side mirrors tore off and squashed. The upper triple clamp alignment seems out despite having straight forks and wheels .
Anyone can show me how to adjust the alignment back?

Desmayed,
Terence

[This message has been edited by Terence Tay (edited 06 April 2000).]

Who cares what happened to the bike? You're alive and well.

Have your dealer make all chassis repairs and alignment/integrity checks for safety's sake. Just hand the bike over. There may be damage you can't see.

Glad to here your alright,but sorry about the bike. Dirty Pete is right there is probable going to be some alignment problems, let the dealer or a good shop look at it. This might be a good time to crack open a bottle of that Jack Daniel's you have been saving.

One line and it sucks,sh*t HAPPENS,be glad the great lord heard youre prayers.
ride safe

jan :)

[This message has been edited by jan (edited 06 April 2000).]

That sucks and I'm with Hapo. Make them pay and I'm glad your OK.
So what was the drivers expression when you got up madder than hell?

MAN aint you glad to be alive n well!!! I know when you saw that dipstick of a bus driver act a fool you just knowed you bought the farm huh? I really think the almighty has a special place in his heart for BUSA riders!! he probably thinks to himself......JUST FOR 1 RIDE.....WHATSA GUY LIKE ME GOTTA DO!!! :) s o r r y b o ut yo b i k e!!! glad you ok though!

Don't know the details of the crash from your description. Was the bus oncoming at an intersection?

You always have to assume drivers don't see you, don't look, or simply don't care. Laws and traffic signs & lights will not save you from a stupid driver. You are the only one who can save yourself. Brakes, tires, and skill are the only weapons you can rely on. You have to see them first and avoid them. Pretend they are trying to kill you, because they basically are.

That's just the way it is. NEVER count on drivers to look for you or to care about your safety. My 2 cents.

We've all seen the epic Bruce Lee film "Game of Death".......
Thats exactly what we play every time we bring that 1300 to life. Dont sugar coat it. You cant. What you CAN do is be prepared. The reactions have to be imprinted permanently in our subconsious. 2 keys to staying alive on the street: 1)VISION 2)DISTANCE
Try and let your eyes take a wide angle and far ahead focus of whats ahead. Dont focus in on specific close up objects, scan.
Keep as much distance as you can between you and any other vehicle, when you see a cage waiting to cross or enter where your going, get as far over to the opposite side of them in case they go. Assume they are gonna go. The best weapon we have is acceleration, it enables us to evade with such speed that we wiz by the threat before it materializes. Lastly, learn the limits of your brakes and get accustomed to testing those limits from time to time. (stoppies could qualify as a drill)
This isnt meant to be a clinic or distinguish me as some authority, merely a few observations I've made in my 16 years on the mean streets. Play safe, ride hard.

Sorry to hear that Terence,its a terrible thing to see your bike in a mess on the road, but its a great thing to be able to walk away.You were lucky,it could have been so much worse.In a couple of weeks the bike will be back as good as new and lucky you will be able to ride it again.A few drinks will help you over the next few days and I,ll have one for you over here...cheers.

Take Omega's points to heart.

Get sloppy drunk and talk to your broken bike in the garage for therapy.

Get back in the saddle again!

And always remember that most people who live thier lives being safe end up sleeping in a nursing home bed drooling and shitting on themselves till a nurse making $6.50 an hour reports them dead.

There are worse ways to go than on a bike.

b

[This message has been edited by Ninjaknight (edited 06 April 2000).]

Just being able to walk away from any motorcycle accident is great news to hear. Bikes can always be replaced or repaired. Learn from this accident as much as possile for situations seem to always repeat themselves . . . . good to still have you around ! ! !

Also to all you married and obligated riders, you may not want to hear it but you owe it to you loved ones to LOAD-UP on some life insurance. I would never want my LOVE for motorcycling to cause my wife finiancial hardship in the event of the unforseen....Just my .02 cents ! ! !

[This message has been edited by Michael Lee (edited 06 April 2000).]

damn, damn, DAMN!!!!! Sucks about your bike, but glad that you're ok....it can be replaced, you cant...remember that!

I'm sorry to hear about your crash, but it's good you are the one telling us about it. Keep the faith you'll ride again!

Bummer Dude Get drunk and then when you are sober don't be bummedYou can always get another one you can not be replaced.As for life insurance I am waiting for them to rasie my rate I forgot I have a NHRA lic. now.

I second that! "Motherfuker!"

I'll have to send you one of the stickers I have on the back window of my truck:
(Crashing SUCKS!)

Sorry to hear about your crash.

I will relay a different story that was an eye-opener for me last year.

Hadn't had the Hayabusa more than a few months. I was coming back from a good ride and saw a couple of bikes on the side of the road by an intersection. Pulled over to see if I could help. While I was pulled over a Dodge minivan passed me and went through the intersection. I finished up talking with the bikers and headed after the minivan.

So 100 yards after the intersection this minivan is going like 35mph, the road is clear ahead, and I decide to pass.

Pull out to pass this guy, and I'm passing him slowly, just cruising slowly on by.

When I get exactly beside the driver's window the guy in the van gives me a dirty look, turns the wheel, swerving toward me and then away, threatening to run me off the road.

I hit the gas and I'm gone. But I'm pretty pissed. In hindsight I should have waited for him up the road, got his plate, and/or followed him all the way home and found out how tough he was outside the cage.

So there is this guy in this crap minivan choked cause a guy on a Busa is easing by him. With his wife beside him no less!

So there are guys out there who would like to run you off the road if they get the chance.

I glad to hear that your still with us (and without bus tire prints on ya!). Sorry about the bike. Thankfully, it's easier and cheaper to repair than you!

Back