Almost decided on a Hayabusa...

G

I've been bike shopping for a couple weeks now and have all but decided to try and get a Hayabusa. I have a few questions though. One thing that concerns me is that after talking to lots of local riders it seems that the popular opinion is that Hondas don't tend to run hot in traffic as bad as other makes. I have searched this forum without finding much about Busa overheating except with some Turbo bikes.

My frist question is, how apt is a stock Hayabusa to overheat at traffic lights? I would think that if this was a big problem I'd see more about it on this forum. Can't hurt to ask though...

Second question is, what kind of saddle bag options do you use for short trips? I am into photography and would be carrying maybe a night's stay worth of clothes and some camera gear. I've read references to Corbin bags but haven't seen any photos of them. Any links to the Corbin bags or photos of anything else you use would be appreciated.

Last question... What does the word Hayabusa mean? What is it's origin? I figure I'l get at least a few "personal" definitions like God's Bike and suchn and that's cool. I'm into that. However, I'd really like to know what it really means.

I hope to find a decent deal on a Hayabusa soon. I am into body and paint work and custom stuff and can't wait to start tricking out a bike. It'll be my first tricked out bike. I've always played with cars, mostly 5.0 Stangs... I can't wait!

I've been bike shopping for a couple weeks now and have all but decided to try and get a Hayabusa. I have a few questions though. One thing that concerns me is that after talking to lots of local riders it seems that the popular opinion is that Hondas don't tend to run hot in traffic as bad as other makes. I have searched this forum without finding much about Busa overheating except with some Turbo bikes.

"My frist question is, how apt is a stock Hayabusa to overheat at traffic lights? I would think that if this was a big problem I'd see more about it on this forum. Can't hurt to ask though..."

<span style='font-family:arial'><span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:darkblue'>It can be a little problem even on stock Busas.  make sure that the fan is connected right.  The elec line can pull out on hard runs.  Make sure the wire is bread tied down.  Next step use an alum. fan.  That should take care of it.  If you are stopped in traffic for a long time, just shut it off until you staart moving.</span></span></span>

Second question is, what kind of saddle bag options do you use for short trips? I am into photography and would be carrying maybe a night's stay worth of clothes and some camera gear. I've read references to Corbin bags but haven't seen any photos of them. Any links to the Corbin bags or photos of anything else you use would be appreciated.

<span style='font-family:arial'><span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:darkblue'>I use a back pack, or saddle bafgs that go over the seat.  That is just me. I do not like big bags.  They make some nice soft bags out there, just make sure they are not close to your pipes.</span></span></span>

Last question... What does the word Hayabusa mean? What is it's origin? I figure I'l get at least a few "personal" definitions like God's Bike and suchn and that's cool. I'm into that. However, I'd really like to know what it really means.

<span style='font-family:arial'><span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:darkblue'>We should put this one in our book of terms and definitions.  Hayabusa is Japanese for Peregrine Falcon.  The Kanji stand for speed and strength.</span></span></span>
I hope to find a decent deal on a Hayabusa soon. I am into body and paint work and custom stuff and can't wait to start tricking out a bike. It'll be my first tricked out bike. I've always played with cars, mostly 5.0 Stangs... I can't wait

<span style='font-family:arial'><span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:darkblue'>Welcome and good luck on your hunt for a Busa.</span></span></span>

(1) My stock 'Busa looked like it was going to overheat after about an hour in stop-n-go traffic on the DC Beltway on a sunny day, probably near 90 degrees outside temperature. Both the tank and frame were fairly hot to the touch and the needle was 3/4 of the way to the max.

Since I've wrapped the headers past the coolers I haven't really had the chance to run the same "test" again but everything does seem cooler and it's quite hard to get the needle over the middle.

I have never had any trouble sitting at stoplights, however, just long rides in serious stop-n-go traffic.

(2) I use RKA soft saddlebags and a ventura rack with -- like -- a 45 liter aero pack and a tank bag. This rig can carry a ton of stuff, in short, even with a passenger. I have gone camping for a weekend (with a tent, sleeping bag, inflatable pad, etc.) and had trouble thinking of more stuff to carry.

Overheating is a problem for ALL bikes that have their engines completely encased in plastic(sport bikes mostly) in stop and go traffic. This is only a problem when you move at 5mph or less for 45 mins or more. I have never overheated anywhere except in Daytona during Bike Week and Biketoberfest. And that only happened when I cruised down main street at 1-5mph for about 45 mins. I've been in heavy traffic here in L.A. on the streets(not the freeway) and never had an overheat problem. I've never seen Hondas do any better than anybody else.

Thanks to Ninja Eater for the welcome. Thanks to all for the overheating info. I suspected what Charlesbusa pretty much confirmed. I just couldn't believe that Honda could prevent overheating and all the other manufacturers couldn't...

Now I'll have to do a search for motorcycle accessories and see if I can come up with some links with info and pricing on bags. I wish the dealers were open today. I can't wait to find a bike.

Thanks again for the replies and info. This forum looks like a great source of info on the Hayabusa.
smile.gif

(knock on wood)

I've never had my 'Busa overheat.  I have a stock fan.  When it gets hot, either sitting at a long light or splitting the lane at 5 mph in 110 deg heat, it gets just above half way, the fan kicks in and it cools down, heats back up, and cools back down.  Stock coolant also.

My 2c is to leave the fan stock unless you do overheat.

My new 2003 Busa NEVER Even comes close to overheating.
It is just as cool as my 2002 R1 was.
The new Busas have new FANS with more blades & will not melt like the previous years.

One other thought about luggage.  Check out the RocketLocker.  Sounds cheesy but a coupl eof the guys here on the board have them and they seem really cool.  <span style='color:blue'>Rocketlocker.com</span>
 The rear bag comes with a base that replaces your pillion.  Then the whole thin zippers onto that baseplate.  It virtually guarentees that the bag isnt going to go anywhere and its easily removable while still leaving your trunk area secure.  Sounds like one of the more foreward thinking designs out there.  I will be getting one as soon as I get some other things done.  
 Over heating?  My ride will heat up in stop and go traffic but as the needle passes 1/2 way the fan kicks in cooks the crap out of my right leg and the temp comes right back down again.
 If I am sitting at a real long light, I just turn the key till it is time to go...

Welcome to the board.  Is this your first motorcycle?  If it is get thyself to the MSF begginers course before you throw a leg over your Busa and then take it easy for awhile.  It's an easy bike to ride, but will be unforgiving of little mistakes...

Thanks for the link to the rocketlocker. Looks like an interesting piece. As for overheating, I don't really expect a big problem there. I figure most of my riding will be over open road (day trips) with only occasional trips to town on it. I have no problem cutting it off if it starts to get too hot during the trips to town.

Also thanks for the welcome. The Hayabusa won't be my first bike but it will be my first sport bike. I grew up riding and crashing dirt bikes and dual purpose on/off street bikes but never got a rocket. It's been quite a while since I rode seriously though. I had already been pointed in the direction of an MSF course and thought it was a great idea. While I have done quite a bit of riding, little of it was on the street and as I said, it has been a while.

Thanks again for the info and suggestions. I plan to ease into the sport bike thing. I don't want to scuff my new Hayabusa but more important is the fact that I don't want to scuff *ME* up.
biggrin.gif
I'm really looking forward to riding again though.

Welcome to the boards, You will get a great deal of good advice here...I have.

One thing to consider on any engine is if you make more horsepower, You have to make more heat. There is no way around it. Busas make more HP than the Honda, so there will be a smaller heat margin given equal sized radiators. The Busa radiator is big enough to handle the heat except for the hottest days. Like others here, I wrapped my exhaust headers with header tape on the downtubes right next to the radiators. I figure that four red hot pipes next to a radiator and oil cooler are doing nothing to cool the water and oil. I haven't been out on a really hot day since I wrapped the pipes, but on 80 degree days the temp needle hasn't risen above the middle line on the gauge. it used to hover well above that line before. Last year at Laguna Seca it was hot (100+) and traffic was crawling as usual. The temp shot up to redline but didn't overheat. I am sure it was the exhaust cooking the radiators with little or no airflow. This year will be the test for the header tape. I expect to run cool even in the heat now. We will see.............

Thanks for the link to the rocketlocker. Looks like an interesting piece. As for overheating, I don't really expect a big problem there. I figure most of my riding will be over open road (day trips) with only occasional trips to town on it. I have no problem cutting it off if it starts to get too hot during the trips to town.

Also thanks for the welcome. The Hayabusa won't be my first bike but it will be my first sport bike. I grew up riding and crashing dirt bikes and dual purpose on/off street bikes but never got a rocket. It's been quite a while since I rode seriously though. I had already been pointed in the direction of an MSF course and thought it was a great idea. While I have done quite a bit of riding, little of it was on the street and as I said, it has been a while.

Thanks again for the info and suggestions. I plan to ease into the sport bike thing. I don't want to scuff my new Hayabusa but more important is the fact that I don't want to scuff *ME* up.
biggrin.gif
 I'm really looking forward to riding again though.
Just ease into the Busa and listen to what it's telling you and you will do fine. MSF is a real good idea cause if nothing else you can usually get an insurance break.

When you get your Busa your going to notice lots of smell, lots of noises etc. Feel free to ask if something concerns you, you will likely have "new to Busa" questions.

Get the Busa, I will give you about a 99% chance you will love it. If you don't love it, you should be able to trade it pretty effectively.

Sierra, thanks for the welcome and the heads up on the header wraps. I had read about it elsewhere in the forums on this site and thought I might give it a try. I've seen it used on hot rod cars and it seemed to really help with underhood heat there. Might not be a bad idea to just go ahead and wrap the pipes. On the other hand, I also read something about the stock pipes cracking after being wrapped. I'll look into it further before doing it...

Revlis,

That's the plan. Ease into things and get a feel for it as I go. I'm sure you're right about the questions I'll have as I go. This will be the first place I go to for answers. Out of all the busa sites I found this seems to be the best. Maybe I just click with the people here. Some of the other boards definitely have a different atmosphere.
wink.gif

It is possible that the headers can crack from the heat tempering due to the wrap. I haven't seen it or know of anyone who has had it happen to them. Everyone has heard that it can happen. It may be an urban legend. I am taking the risk.

The reason is that a cooked engine is very expensive to replace (note that I do not say rebuild). It is easy to overheat and fry a Busa engine on a hot day in stalled traffic. I would rather have to replace the header pipes than an engine. And if the pipes do crack, it is immediately apparent by the noise it will put out. I can stop the bike safely and probably ride it home with a cracked pipe. With the engine it is towed home.

S7R4NGER, I'm waiting for my local dealership to re-open after the holiday to see if they have one in stock. If they have one I'll be up there Wednseday talking numbers and seeing how it feels. It's just a matter of finding one and getting the right deal.
biggrin.gif

Sierra, makes sense to me. In fact all the posts I saw on the issue were people who "heard" that the pipes would crack. Don't remember a single one saying that their pipes actually did crack. I'll look into getting some header wrap as soon as I have the bike. Thanks again for the input.

Welcome to the boards.....As I have written in another thread....those new tires will be slick as....well....damn slick! Be careful till you have some miles on them and they are well scuffed. Laid mine down turning in a side-street after only owning it about two hours.....it wasn't pretty. Some kind of coating on them when new. Just trying to save you some heartbreak....and cash. I know you'll love the 'busa'.....
Rocket On!

Back