All of California ~ is on F I R E again *

I just flew into the LA basin Thursday eve and left Fri am. So smokey you couldnt see the airport untill only about 3 miles out...usually u can see it around Big Bear/ Palm Springs.
My allergies have been crazy since.
Good luck down there guys.
Troy

Very destructive and deadly fires. I’m about 150 miles south of the Camp Fire and it’s even smoky that far away.

Yes, we have smoke in the bay area, and further south in San Jose to Gilroy.

The fire is about 30 miles away as the crow flies but to ride there, about 65 miles, near El Portal, a few miles from the central western Park entrance. Air quality is bad and it's a tad windy. 5,000 acres are on fire with 1,000 fire fighters and its 25% contained so far.

I just flew into the LA basin Thursday eve and left Fri am. So smokey you couldnt see the airport untill only about 3 miles out...usually u can see it around Big Bear/ Palm Springs.
My allergies have been crazy since.
Good luck down there guys.
Troy
Does the smoke and ash impact jet engines similar to volcanic ash?

Not at all. Ash from a forest fire is from trees/wood. Volcanic is silicon based from rock. You are absolutely correct that volcatic ash really jacks up the engines. Total complete flame out in just minutes. I have had a few cancellations and a few reroutes due to eruptions. Sometimes you fly right next to an ash cloud. They are very easy to see with no clouds of course. Guatamala's volcano is very pretty when erupting...have seen it many times from the air.
Troy

Not at all. Ash from a forest fire is from trees/wood. Volcanic is silicon based from rock. You are absolutely correct that volcatic ash really jacks up the engines. Total complete flame out in just minutes. I have had a few cancellations and a few reroutes due to eruptions. Sometimes you fly right next to an ash cloud. They are very easy to see with no clouds of course. Guatamala's volcano is very pretty when erupting...have seen it many times from the air.
Troy
so once an engine has flamed out due to volcano is it toast or can they rebuild it?

No fires near me but the electricity has been off for over two hours. My son is in Novato, the north end of the Bay Area and his power went out yesterday and is still off. My daughter is enroute to her home in SoCal from there and she’s seen 2-3 dozen fire trucks on the road and has passed thru smoky areas so thick it’s like fog. If this keeps up my waterbed will get cold! :laugh:

The one thing I don't miss about living in California.

Don’t forget earthquakes. Google ‘photos of loma prieta earthquake’. I lived almost 50 miles to the NE of SF then and it shook a lamp off an end table in my living room. A friend who lived near me was stuck for hours at Candlestick Park watching a game and it got cracks in the walls during the shake. The Bay Bridge was busted and blocked and the elevated freeway near Oakland crashed While cars were passing over and under. We had them when lived in Humboldf county farther north and on the coast too.

Don’t forget earthquakes. Google ‘photos of loma prieta earthquake’. I lived almost 50 miles to the NE of SF then and it shook a lamp off an end table in my living room. A friend who lived near me was stuck for hours at Candlestick Park watching a game and it got cracks in the walls during the shake. The Bay Bridge was busted and blocked and the elevated freeway near Oakland crashed While cars were passing over and under. We had them when lived in Humboldf county farther north and on the coast too.
Those never did really bother me. Whittier narrows and Northridge were the two I remember as being the biggest, with so many smaller ones I lost count. I lived in SoCal from 84-95, then SF til 97, back to LA until 99. When I got to the Bay area the damage from the quake in 89 was still not fully repaired.

Back