AKRAPOVIC EXHAUST TITANIUM SYSTEM

AQUADIOSMED

Registered
JANAURY 14, 2000, DYNO JET, LAS VEGAS:

Mike Belcher, of D-J, needed an "all stock busa" with the "Akro" ... I provided the bike and "Akro" in a box ... Mike first made a dyno run "all stock" then he unpacked the "Akro" and installed it ... although I was not allowed to watch, Mike told me it took him about 4 hours to get the "Akro" mapping right ... I presume that mapping is now available on the dynojet web site???

Overview:

the "Akro" as an uninstalled product seemed to be excellent in fit and finish ...

However ....
the system hits the lower fairing and this will be a problem without some creative thought to eliminate this potential to burn the fairing;
also ... the "AKRAPOVIC LOGO", though it looked good, according to Mike, before the dyno runs, shrunk and became deformed after the dyno work was completed. Mike thought it was a "heat related" problem the manufacturer or distributor would have to correct.

I will be in contact with Art Ninci to see what can be worked out.

No effort was made to tune, in order to post big horsepower gains;

Mike's approach was to "maximize" the mapping of the pc2, produced by D-J, so that D-J had a "good" map for the "all stock" busa public that might want to insall the "akro" system ...

there was no interest of touting one product over the other, just a no nonsense approach to getting it "properly mapped" for future D-J pc2 Busa customers ...

The problems I have described were unexpected but likely to occur to others.
For Example:
I removed both side fairings and the bottom piece ... then carefully and slowly "hung" each side back on to see how and where the system touched the fairing.

It seemd to me that the only place the fairing could be burned is at the "lower" bolts, just in front of the connection to the "lower-rear" fairing piece ...

I created a spacer for the exhaust or right side and used some Kaiser foil where the exhause "touched the fairing" and there has been no "burns" or "blisters" but it does get hot to the touch, especially the right side "bolt" ... it is hot enough to burn you if it is touched, while the fairing itself, gets hot to the touch, but not so hot it will be damaged nor will it burn you if it is touched.

Just a small detail correction.

The only titanium on the Akrapovic systems is in the mufflers (depending on your choice). The headers and S-bend are all stainless steel for whatever system.

Alan, that's OK, just wanted to make sure nobody would buy Akrapovic and find out afterwards that it was not fully Ti.
BTW, got some of your runs (as well as some of Turbo-Rick) and the new RunViewer from Mike Belcher today and I must say that I'm glad I saw this with my own eyes and was able to compare these graphs.
Best graphs for both of you are very similar when imagining a smoothed line, but overall yours looks better to me and TR's is only better at absolute top-end and only then due to a very spiky graph where the tops are just a couple of horses better than your smooth line.
Hope that we or Turbo-Rick can think of some explanation (and cure) for this cause if not I might be looking for an unmodded airbox again?
His graphs almost look like one of a bike with rotten/unlubed sprockets and chain?
Guess that you made sure your bike was in the best possible condition before going to Dynojet?
We'll have to wait for word from Turbo-Rick on status of his bike or details of how he modded his airbox and maybe possible detail glitches there?

[This message has been edited by Animal (edited 18 January 2000).]

Yeah, feels good when analyzing from such a distance and with nothing but common-sense and some experience with this stuff can sometimes lead to the right conclusions?

As for how I got their brand-new RunViewer and the data of some of your and T-R's runs:
I simply sent an E-mail to Dynojet asking for the final/best dynoruns of the both of you from last weekend in electronic form to be viewed with their old Pepview (free) software, like I'm used to doing with all my own runs and some others I've been getting via my local Dynojet guy.
Mike Belcher first responded with just a bitmap comparison graph of both best runs and also told me that a new (free) runviewer would be coming soon.
I then replied that I was looking forward to this as the old DOS-based PepView was showing its age and asked him if the new one would also have improved functionality like e.g. printing.
He then replied more extensively and included a zip archive with the new runviewer and some of the more telling runs of both of you and some short documentation on how to use it.

He also told me "Please feel free to
share this with anyone you like." so I can send it to anyone interested.

I've already got T-R's E-mail address and will send it to him and if you (Alan) will send me an E-mail I can reply by sending it to you as well.

And for anybody else interested, send me an E-mail and I'll send it to you too.

ANIMAL:

Yes, the chain was lubed, sprockets o.k.,
and thanks for the interest ... how did you get the comparisons ... you have more than I do ... ?????

I'll say this ... regardless of hp comparisons ... I am very happy with the performance of my "busa" since D-J-Belcher did the mapping ...

I feel confidant that another 4-5 hp is there waiting to be "tuned" ... for release to the rear wheel ...

remember ... I have not even removed the spark plugs since delivery!!!

Is it possible for you to share what you have regards to graphs???

ANIMAL:

In my last post I forgot to mention ... your analysis-conclusion to T-R'S rough graph seems to be right on ... now if you would help me to the data... ???

Alan

Alan, you've got mail.

BTW, clicking on the face with question mark icon will show you someone's profile and some of us have circumvented the NA at the field e-mail-address (although filled in alright by us) by entering our E-mail address at one of the other fields.
So, you could have gotten my e-mail-address there.

AKRAPOVIC EXHAUST FITS:

the original install was by DYNO-JET when they used the busa for the "mapping" for the PC2 ... there are no "installation" instructions ...

I called Lockhart Phillips the USA distributor, they called Slovenia ... they said only that it was too straightforward to write instructions ??? ... translated means they do not write well in english ...

today I had the time to evaluate the system and possibly eliminate the exhaust hitting the "belly pan" portion of the fairing ...

the system has about 10 slip joints held together with "exhaust springs" ... I removed the springs and the right side pipes this allowed for multiple motion and movement of the exhaust system ...

it fits ... if you buy one and install yourself, be sure you spend time to apply "creative wiggling" to the system, it will eventually fall into place ...

there are 2 spots the pipe is close, I of course padded those with aluminum foil ...

ALSO: THE WRONG LOGO-DECAL WAS ON THE TITANIUM CAN ... IT BURNED AND DISTORTED BECAUSE IT HAD NO "HEAT-FOIL" BACKING!

I believe the can will be replaced with the right LOGO sometime soon ... ???

Alan

Back