Airshifter Install pics

badboysbailagnt

Donating Member
Registered
Hey guys here are the pics of my MPS auto air shifter install.
This might help someone in the future for there install. This first pic is where i mounted the pump

AIRSHIFTER_PUMP.jpg

Ok in this pic i circled the spacer they tell you to basicaly come up with yourself to mount the pump. I just found some aluminum spacers and put them on the bolt. They wont as long as i wants so i put 2 extra nuts on the bolt to space it out.

Airshifter_pump_spacer.jpg

This is where i installed the air tank.As you can see i installed it in the right side of the tail.  I took the gauge off and installed a T near the bottle to run a line to the front so i could see the pressure

<!--EDIT|badboysbailagnt
Reason for Edit: None given...|1128798072 -->

airshifter_tank.jpg

And this is the gauge and on off switch for the pump. Below the on off switch for the pump is a switch to arm the system where you can either choose to disarm and use the horn or arm and use the airshifter. I have mine set at 10,400 so it will #### by itself at that rpm anyway. But if you still want to shift it with the horn button just take the msd rpm chip out.

airshifter_gauge_and_switches.jpg

Nice routing of the wires. Sorry for the dumbazz question but how does the airshifter work? Does it allow you to shift without letting off the throttle? I hear so many good thkng about ehm and how the draggers use em.

Thanks guys and yes you do not have to let off the gas just concentrat on holding on lol. Here are the air cylinder pics i just installed it. You have to drill out the bolt for a 5/16's bolt. Some people that i hae seen have used a 1/4 but that is alot of pressure so i went larger. I bought a 5/16's drill and tap set but went with a drill bit 20 thosands bigger. I swear to god that bolt is made of titanium . It was a bitc* to tap. You also have to drill a hole in your shifter arm. They dont tell you any of this in the directions. Here are the rest of the pics. In this pic you can see where i had to grind the shifter down with a dremel a tad bit to get it to slid over the arm.

AIRSHIFTER_SHIFTER.jpg

Here i put a spring between the but that is tightened against the engine bolt. I did this so the cyclinder wouldnt have any problems with binding. Maybe it helps lol

airshifter_spring.jpg

Well thats all on that. Now im going to go install the clear alternitive brake light/turnsignals I had to resolder a resistor on the led board that was broke loose when i got it new.

Nice..I really like were you put your guage!!!

And file the clevis to fit the shifter not the shifter..its skinny there and could break.. And I always leave the compressor in the plastic case..the bottom of the motor is open and dirt gets in there and kills the piston..

But Nice job..just a few tips for the next guy!!

Thanks man you know i didnt even think about filing the clevis instead of the shifter.. I might go buy another shifter arm and file the clevis down makes more since. The compressor motor came like that.

Ok i got a couple of questions. I dont know which way to turn the little screw to adjust the kill time what do you sugest. And some people say run 60,70,80ms kill time well how do you measure that. And if your in 6th gear and hit the horn button to shift again thinking you were in 5th would it do any damage.

also i want to figuar out a way to put a regulator in the compressor line for it to automaticaly come on if it drops below 100psi anyone ever dont this

Most people just mount an on/off switch on the compressor so that when they need air it's a flip away.

JD

Well kill time depends on where you have the switching valve mounted??I have mine on the inside of the frame right near the Cylinder and run the least amount(Counterclockwise) kill time..ms are built into the box and the screw slot has notches..But dont worry try it at its longest kill time and go from there..

And Just mount your compressor toggle near the guage and pump it to 120psi and shut it off..and I never tried to double shift with a air shifter in top gear..I suppose it wouldn't hurt anything but I would avoid doing that if possible..Most air shifters are put on for the 1/4 mile..I doubt you will be in 6th and have to worry about that..

alien.gif

thanks e racer your the man. I do have the switchin valve mounted in the same place as you. I was going to mount it right on the cylinder but i thought i would hit it with my foot and break it off

Great description and pictures. I did notice a temp tag on your bike, and you are already modding the bike.
super.gif
super.gif

super.gif

Back