Airplane radar popped me 92 in a 70 zone.

Chango

Registered
Just got in Ohio and cop pulls me over and say " I didn't clock you the plane got you" says I was going much faster. Said he will city me a brake and just say 92. Gotta wait till Tuesday to find out the fine. He mentioned if I wanted to contest it there was a date on
.I was speeding it's it worth showing up to court? Our should I mail it and move on?

For me....if I was speeding and got caught, I would pay it and move on.

if it's just a fine, i would pay it and move on...if it is going to come with a bunch of points, get a lawyer and see if they can get the points dropped if you just pay the fine and go to traffic school or something :beerchug:

I got hit in ohio about two years ago. anything over 85 I think is a set fine. $175 sux, but could be worse

The have planes that clock now?

Many states have had small planes patrolling the interstates over the years. They would time you between lines painted across the road. It also wasn't that accurate, or I should say was known to have operator error. The plane radioed the troopers who to pull. In VA there were large signs(and still are)on many stretches of highway.
It was very expensive back then, and of course is even more today. VA cut it way back years ago too. VA may have a few planes in the Northern VA area, Richmond, or Norfolk area, but I doubt if any of there first priorities are to catch speeders.
Your more likely to be caught by a drone these days, as there are police departments that use them.

You can do as you wish. But me personally I would take it to court. Especially if you live close by. Remember your innocent until proven guilty. Here in Kansas they give you a date on the ticket that it needs to be paid by or you go to court and plead not guilty. Then they will set you another court date, which is where you will plead your case. The last one I dealt with the officer did not show, the prosecutor wanted a continuance in which I contested because it costs me money to take off of work each time and it is not my fault the officer can not make a court date that they were subpoenaed to. So the fine and court costs were dropped.

Huh $187 eh?/ I got one in Louisiana doing 95, $600!!!. Cute little girl pulls on the side of me on I49 around Oplelousas and floors it and what do I do?? Well catch up to her of course. Cop says if both of us would have kept on (I got off exit) he says I would have got both of you. Then I remember seeing another cop coming from the other way at same exit to help him chase me should I run. Then I thought the other cop could have easily caught the cute girl. Then it dawned on me, why didn't they go catch the cute girl doing 95mph, she was probably his grand daughter enticing fast cars and bikes to go fast with her. They would have went got her too, and had two juicy $600 tickets, smart cop saying hey sweet grand daughter want to go have fun, go real fast and help grandpa?? think about it!!

thats more accurate then Laser.... jus remember paying it may not put points on ur license but ur insurance company is still privy to that offense so expect ur rates to go thru the roof!

WOW....everyone saying to just pay it and move on are CRAZY!!! ???

Either take defensive driving, get a traffic lawyer, or hope he doesn't show up....but NEVER EVER just pay a speeding ticket... :banghead:

I'm going to find out tomorrow how much and if below $200 then I'm going to pay it and be done. If any more then I'm going to court. There are no signs at all stating air patrol or anything. The ticket clearly has "Air Radar" checked and the cop said it was not him and it was the plane that got me. Thanks for the replies. I will keep you posted.

Not gonna bore you to death with speeding ticket stories but the last 2 times I decided not to just mail in the check. 1st ticket I pled down 2 not obeying traffic signal=0 points and the 2nd ticket I lawyered up pled down to 5mph over the speed limit. My license would've been suspended had I just mailed them in. Not saying that these results are typical or guaranteed. But @ least there's a chance if you fight it vs just mailing it in. A few points might not seem like a big deal but you catch a ticket or 2 more and now your lookin @ a suspended license....

Air Radar ? ???

Their is no air radar that I know of. Lines painted on the road - as you past one they (in the plane) time how long it takes to get to the next line.
Easy to start or stop the stopwatch a little off which gives a false number.

Tomorrow is Labor Day so you might not get an answer tomorrow. :whistle:

MIGHT be worth talking to a lawyer (especially if it's a free consultation) and see if he could get it reduced or throw out. ???

^^^ there is such a thing..... see signs posted "speed enforced by air craft" in PA, OH, and VA. Might have them in other states too but those are the state where I've personally seen them posted

There have been a couple of posts recently about tickets. I'd like to add a thought. I was told by a close friend who is an insurance franchise owner that the LEOs do not report your offense to your ins company. The ins companies run a small percentage of their customers every year to check the driving records. He also said they tend to run their high risk drivers. So just because you get a ticket, it is not guaranteed that it will hit your policy.

Back