Airbox removal

stratblue

Registered
Hi All.

I'm trying to get the airbox off a gen 2, I've undone the allen bolts either side that loosen the rubber boots on the inlets, probably 20 turns but it seems to be set solid on there. It wobbles but can't get it off, any ideas?

Nick.

Hi All.

I'm trying to get the airbox off a gen 2, I've undone the allen bolts either side that loosen the rubber boots on the inlets, probably 20 turns but it seems to be set solid on there. It wobbles but can't get it off, any ideas?

Nick.

it sticks to the rubber if you havent had it off before. you might need A BIT of force.

If you put it back together put some grease on for the next time!

“A BIT of force” lmao.... give a good ol’ tug!!
If you use grease on the boots, only use rubber grease, regular grease makes rubber swell.
haha...well- Better be careful then ripping the whole thing apart. When i did it the first time i forgot to unplug a cable- with too much force I would have ripped of the cable aswell... so better be careful at first :-)

I use heavy duty grease (same as I use for the bearings...)

haha...well- Better be careful then ripping the whole thing apart. When i did it the first time i forgot to unplug a cable- with too much force I would have ripped of the cable aswell... so better be careful at first :-)

I use heavy duty grease (same as I use for the bearings...)
Just be aware that regular grease is hydrocarbon based, when in contact with rubber a chemical reaction takes place causing swelling, rubber grease does not cause this issue.
I know how easy it can be to get a bit “enthusiastic “ and end up breaking expensive sensors when ripping stuff apart.
We’ve all ‘been there, done that’ lol

Back