Airbox re-install?

rdx4me

Registered
Trying to re-install the airbox but the previous owner obviously did not correctly seal the rubber boots that lead from the airbox to the throttle bodies when he had it apart.

I've included some pics so you can hopefully see what I'm talking about. I tried removing them from the airbox, seating them properly to the throttle body and clamping them down for a few days but they didn't quite snap back to their original form.

Then I thought about leaving them clamped on the TB's and trying to work them back into the airbox that way but since that end is even bigger I thought that would be a major PITA... (Even with silicone spray)

Has anyone ever had success doing it that way?

It seems impossible to see inside the airbox and insure these things line up & drop down correctly on the TB as your trying to put the airbox back on...

I know they are egg shaped and move around as you rotate them, just not sure exactly were they are supposed to be aligned to?

Once again, the manual leaves ALOT to be desired when searching for install procedures for this.

100_2034.jpg

100_2043.jpg

100_2045.jpg

100_2047.jpg

100_2048.jpg

100_2049.jpg

100_2051.jpg

Last edited:
Since they are damaged as shown, you might consider getting new ones.
I don't think they will ever go back to their original shape.
Don't use silicone or any petroleum product on them.
Use KY or other water soluble liquid. Much more slippery, and will dry off and not harm them.
My buddy had that problem and took an exacto knife and trimmed away the thin part of the rubber that goes inside the throttle bodies.
It is the part that is wrecked on yours already.
They go on easier and that part doesn't seem to be needed anyway.
The throttle body butts up flush with where he trimmed, so it worked fine.
Use a little water soluble lube when you install the box back to the throttle bodies too.
Works good.

You have velocity stacks with that right?
If so install the rubbers in the airbox, then the stacks in the rubbers and then the whole box on the throttle bodies.
That is the only way to get them back on.

My buddy had that problem and took an exacto knife and trimmed away the thin part of the rubber that goes inside the throttle bodies. It is the part that is wrecked on yours already.
They go on easier and that part doesn't seem to be needed anyway.
The throttle body butts up flush with where he trimmed, so it worked fine.

Man!

That will definitely be a time saver. No telling what the dealer wants for new rubber pieces...

I'm just trying to make sure I put her back together like she's supposed to be. Not going to be a race or show bike, more of a daily driver for my son.

Yes, it came with stacks too. I'll trim the part that goes on the TB, eliminating the interference. Wash them with soap & water, reassemble them into the airbox with the stacks.

What is the purpose of making them egg shaped anyways? Are there different width intakes or TB's the airboxes fit?

Thanks for the great tip Mike!

Last edited:
All of the offset needs to be the same on each one. The short side of the offset needs to be forward or to the front of the airbox. :beerchug:

Man!

That will definitely be a time saver. No telling what the dealer wants for new rubber pieces...

I'm just trying to make sure I put her back together like she's supposed to be. Not going to be a race or show bike, more of a daily driver for my son.

Yes, it came with stacks too. I'll trim the part that goes on the TB, eliminating the interference. Wash them with soap & water, reassemble them into the airbox with the stacks.

What is the purpose of making them egg shaped anyways? Are there different width intakes or TB's the airboxes fit?

Thanks for the great tip Mike!

You are most welcome.
The rubbers and velocity stacks come together as a set, and the rubbers are unique to the stacks.
If you wanted to buy new rubbers you would have to find out which manufacturer of stacks you have and then buy a set from them.
Trimming works well IMO.

Rubbers and KY, sorry I know everybody was waiting for one person to say it.:laugh:

Hey John!

Still working on this Busa, just about ready for the trip to DMV. My son couldn't believe it when FL passed all the new laws...

Now he's gotta spend $215 for mandatory MSF Riders Safety Course!

And we have to make a plate mount since we can't go vertical like we had wanted to...

Sanding down the plastics this weekend and if the weather cooperates, hope to have it all painted very soon.

Thanks to all the help from org members!

Hey John!

Still working on this Busa, just about ready for the trip to DMV. My son couldn't believe it when FL passed all the new laws...

Now he's gotta spend $215 for mandatory MSF Riders Safety Course!

And we have to make a plate mount since we can't go vertical like we had wanted to...

Sanding down the plastics this weekend and if the weather cooperates, hope to have it all painted very soon.

Thanks to all the help from org members!

At least he'll be on the road soon:cheerleader:be sure to post pics when your done:thumbsup:

Trimmed all the rubbers and got the airbox back on. Guess I should of put the stacks in before I put the box back on...

I have pretty big hands and man that was something else getting them in there!

Here's a pic before I put the BMC filter back on....

100_2052.jpg

Crap! Didn't even notice the salt residue till I saw that pic! My son got some q-tips and removed it all...

Guess I should of put the stacks in before I put the box back on...

Don't want to say I told you so.......:whistle:

They look good in there don't they! :thumbsup:
I found they made a difference for me.
They are a PITA to get in but now they are in there and trimmed, they never have to come out again.

Last edited:
LOL! Yes you did Mike!

Just fired her up. Been a few months so it took some cranking but she caught and settled down. Header paint smoked for a minute then quit.

Had my flashlight checking for leaks on the oil pan and lines I had disconnected previously.

None found so my luck is holding. Let her come up up to running temp and fan kicked in and everything appears fine.

Have to bleed the front & rear brakes. I'm not getting a brake light when I hit the front but do when step on the rear so gotta track that down...

At least the rain has stopped & I don't live close to the rivers!

Back