Airbox Mod

Rocketman

Registered
So I just read the jet mechanic guy's blurb on not modding the airbox unless your bike is cranking more than 200hp. (According to the Brock site??)

Like many of you - I have the Yoshi RS3, Sm. Airbox Mod, PCIII, and BMC Race filter.

Am I losing HP by doing this? I was under the impression this was a +/- 15hp mod. Are we supposed to leave the airbox in tact under 200hp?

The only problem is that you loose Tq below 2800 rpm, but who's bike is ever below 2800 rpm?
super.gif

Gaining any HP you have to increase the air flow through the engine, airfilter, airbox mod & exhaust and then a power management system to make sure you have the proper A/F mixture. Excellent mod when done together.

I believe you'll need the Air Box mod to maximize results from a full exhaust (increased air flow) and the PCIII USB and map to adjust and optimize Air-Fuel mixture.

Wow, am I actually right? I may be getting edubacated on this here board.

Keith - edubacated is a pretty big worb... you are definitely learnin' ...

My bike is down at the dyno still due to bad weather. I can't wait to get it back and give her a good lickin' to see how the mod's have come out. I'll let you know how it feels.

I'm thinkin' nitrous after all this talk about getting spanked by a 1k bike. I have issues.... I just cain't let that happen. This is the busa man... My opinion is - no one better spank my 04.

(Rocketman @ Mar. 29 2007,21:56) Keith - edubacated is a pretty big worb... you are definitely learnin' ...

My bike is down at the dyno still due to bad weather.  I can't wait to get it back and give her a good lickin' to see how the mod's have come out.  I'll let you know how it feels.

I'm thinkin' nitrous after all this talk about getting spanked by a 1k bike.  I have issues....  I just cain't let that happen.  This is the busa man... My opinion is - no one better spank my 04.
Depends what year litre bike you're talking about. A modded Busa w/ an extra 15-20 HP should be able to hold it's own and walk away as you get deeper into the triple digits.

Nitrous/turbos are problem prone or problem hazards and require tinkering...the kind of stuff I don't want to be bothered with.

Maybe it's because I have yet to go head to head w/ another comparable sportbike other than the Busa.

Ah... I'm like you. I don't want to always be tinkering on my bike. If I had Cloudnine, MountainMotor, or GPW's skills - it'd be different. But I'm a business owner...

I can't wait to take this guy out and ride it after the street tune.... I'm dyin!

(Rocketman @ Mar. 29 2007,19:28) So I just read the jet mechanic guy's blurb on not modding the airbox unless your bike is cranking more than 200hp. (According to the Brock site??)

Like many of you - I have the Yoshi RS3, Sm. Airbox Mod, PCIII, and BMC Race filter.

Am I losing HP by doing this?  I was under the impression this was a +/- 15hp mod.  Are we supposed to leave the airbox in tact under 200hp?
Your not really losing anything, but i can tell you that you'll never see +/- 15 hp with a air box mod!

I did the airbox mod, PcIII usb with custom map, intake cam for exhaust swap, and full muzzy system. The bike feels strong everywhere but like others say it affects it below 3000 rpm. The bike will slightly stumble when pulling from a stop and the idle is not very smooth. When I am in stop an go traffic there has been times I wish I had a stock airbox.

(GIXERHP @ Mar. 29 2007,16:06)
(Rocketman @ Mar. 29 2007,19:28) So I just read the jet mechanic guy's blurb on not modding the airbox unless your bike is cranking more than 200hp. (According to the Brock site??)

Am I losing HP by doing this? I was under the impression this was a +/- 15hp mod. Are we supposed to leave the airbox in tact under 200hp?
Your not really losing anything, but i can tell you that you'll never see +/- 15 hp with a air box mod!
No no... you're right. Not 15hp just for the airbox - the combo of airbox, race pipe, pcIII, and race filter. Sorry - didn't mean to confuse.

(dmrowe @ Mar. 29 2007,23:27) Gaining any HP you have to increase the air flow through the engine, airfilter, airbox mod & exhaust and then a power management system to make sure you have the proper A/F mixture.  Excellent mod when done together.
+1 ..... the airbox mod is part of a "system." By itself not too much and in fact "can" have some drawbacks. However, when done in conjuction with a full exhaust (especially Brocks and other high end systems) and proper fuel management it can help the total package deliver quite a bit more HP. If the small box mod was all I planned on doing to the Busa, I'd not even bother at all.
cool.gif

I just finished (6 days ago) brock "gen 3"/hindle titanium, PC III USB and airbox (small) mod. I felt a BIG difference in loss of low end (2500-3000) torque. However, 2 things that can get most of it back (at least for me). First, a good mapping, PC has an on line download for just about every combo possible...mine was custom however by a seasoned busa guy. Second, try a 16 toothed front sprocket...you'll lose a little top end though...but I don't have the chance to hit 190mph much, and I so LOVE the mid range boost with NO low end drag/lag/chugging! Especially if you like wheelies!
SHOCKED.gif

Sorry everone, I didn't intend to cause a stink here. Maybe I should noy have made such a "blanket" statement regarding the airbox mod. Here is the link to Brock Racing's airbox mod:

Hope this solves some of the questions...

Back