Air travel first today....

GoAWOL

Abiit, excessit, evasit
Donating Member
Registered
Flew into Raleigh Durham this morning during a nasty thunder storm and no sooner did the wheels nick the ground....the pilot goes full throttle and blasts off like he just missed the cables on a carrier.

I could just imagine the co-pilot (Maverick) talking the pilot (Cougar) back down into another landing.

Turns out the winds were so bad they switched runways on the pilot exactly as he was landing. Pretty unnerving I must admit and I love to fly.
SHOCKED.gif

Wow sounds like that was a scary moment.
I had a flight from L.A. Cali to Chicago in during a
thunderstorm a couple of years back. I had a little old lady
sitting next to me that was scared to death. Everytime we
hit some turbulence it sounded like the plane was going to
fall apart. She just held my arm and prayed the whole time.
I figured that if we were going to go down we were in gods
hands. But we made it, it was a sobering experience........

bowdown.gif

Yeah, air travel is funny thataway....there's really nothing you can do but hold on, pray or become real religious real quick.

I was taking my private pilots license a few years back and did quite a few touch and gos in the little Cessna 172 I was flying. Man that was a kick. I can imagine in a big Boeing or summat in musta been an absolute blast!!!
super.gif

Yep. The 172 is a great plane.Many touch n gos during training. You just have to learn to ride the bumps out. It's the stalls that you have to watch out for. When the horn sounds....hold on!!

LOL. Okay. Cessnas in general are so stable that you can stall them and actually let go of the controls and they will self right. Forcing the recovery almost feels unnatural. I loved doing stalls. Wifey (girlfriend at the time) hated them when I took her along for a lesson.
sad.gif

Point. Havent spun before. Dont want to. I actually loved landing. Hated departures though. I couldnt wait to get altitude.

Flying is fun!! Then again, i'm in the Air Force... i've done to many touch and goes to count and in several types of aircraft.
all_coholic.gif
I LOVE FLYING!

The C-130 I was in today leaving Kuwait for Baghdad blew a tire taxi-ing to the runway. Delayed us for around a couple of hours. No touch and goes for me yet.

"ever done a touch 'n go?

almost every night...wifeys labido ain't what it usta be.
laugh.gif

(GoAWOL @ Aug. 17 2007,14:26) Turns out the winds were so bad they switched runways on the pilot exactly as he was landing. Pretty unnerving I must admit and I love to fly.  
SHOCKED.gif
As a controller, I would never switch runways on a pilot(much less an Air Carrier) as he is touching down....  
SHOCKED.gif
   Unless it was an immediate saftey issue, such as another aircraft on the runway/no gear/etc...

It is much more likely the pilot initiated the go-around due to the winds and then they cleared him to land on another runway.  
wink.gif

SHOCKED.gif

i really need to get back up in the air again...letting this commercial license go to waste

(Charlesbusa @ Aug. 18 2007,15:09)
(GoAWOL @ Aug. 17 2007,14:26) Turns out the winds were so bad they switched runways on the pilot exactly as he was landing. Pretty unnerving I must admit and I love to fly.
SHOCKED.gif
As a controller, I would never switch runways on a pilot(much less an Air Carrier) as he is touching down....
SHOCKED.gif
Unless it was an immediate saftey issue, such as another aircraft on the runway/no gear/etc...

It is much more likely the pilot initiated the go-around due to the winds and then they cleared him to land on another runway.
wink.gif
My thoughts exactly. I saw the crosswalk stripes at the beginning of the runway fly by and we were high and still hauling butt. I kinda thought the pilot screwed up coming in...in his defense the weather was crazy.

SHOCKED.gif

Hey Sean - what were you doing up in RDU? Next time you're up here, give me a shout and we can get a cold one. There is a Hooters just a couple miles from the airport!

Great riding with you on Saturday
beerchug.gif

Back