Air Mod and PCIII and Yoshi Bolt Ons

McAttack

Registered
I've searched the forum and read much about the air mod and PCIII ...

It appears that many think that doing the small air mod and adding a PCIII on a bike with bolt on after-market pipes (I have Yoshi RS3s) will not provide any significant performance adavantages.

This is hard for me to understand, as I have done the same with other bikes and the results were signficant.

Please straighten me out ...

Air mod?
rock.gif

Do you mean Small Airbox mod or the PAIR valve/air mod?

You will gain a few ponies in the upper RPM range but nothing to write home about.  

I would have it dynoed stock and then do the mods to see what you gain.  You should pick up 2 or 3 rwhp from the slip-ons and PC.  Then if you do the PAIR mod and Small box mod you should get maybe another 2 or 3rwhp total.  If you dyno 150-155rwhp stock I would think you could break 160rwhp with the above mods.  
cool.gif

I think most are just preparing you so you aren't upset for spending all that money and getting very little gains. Slips-ons are basically for sound and the PC won't do much for that combo so I wouldn't spend the money on a custom tune until you get more mods or a full system exhaust.

Just don't expect 15-20rwhp for all that money like the manufactors lead you to believe....

lurk.gif

The restriction is the stock header...you can't get that much out of bolt ons a PC and a air box mod...MAYBE 5hp.

The motor just won't breathe with the stock header...you will get a lot more NOISE with those mods, not much HP though  
argue.gif

(Got-Busa? @ Oct. 17 2006,19:50) Air mod?
rock.gif

Do you mean Small Airbox mod or the PAIR valve/air mod?

You will gain a few ponies in the upper RPM range but nothing to write home about.  

I would have it dynoed stock and then do the mods to see what you gain.  You should pick up 2 or 3 rwhp from the slip-ons and PC.  Then if you do the PAIR mod and Small box mod you should get maybe another 2 or 3rwhp total.  If you dyno 150-155rwhp stock I would think you could break 160rwhp with the above mods.  
cool.gif

I think most are just preparing you so you aren't upset for spending all that money and getting very little gains.  Slips-ons are basically for sound and the PC won't do much for that combo so I wouldn't spend the money on a custom tune until you get more mods or a full system exhaust.

Just don't expect 15-20rwhp for all that money like the manufactors lead you to believe....

lurk.gif
Sorry ...I meant the small air box mod ....

I already have the Yoshi bolt ons and realize they don't add much in regards to added HP.

Was just wondering if there is any real value in doing the small air box mod and/or installing low restriction filter, and installing a PCIII.

I did the PAIR valve/air mod last year (I think) -- that's where you plug/block the small air hose on the bottom of the air box with marble, etc.???

Thanks.

(Professor @ Oct. 17 2006,22:37) Good reading material on the subject.
That was a great read - I've read similar material before, but not as detail as this one.

I especially liked the explanation of the "mythical" exhaust back-pressure concept- many think that pipes must create back-pressure for torque. It's all about exhaust volume and velocity.

Great A/B comparison of the after market pipe vs. stock showing how the 3rd party system is designed to enhance the exhaust volume and velocity dynamics.

Thanks.

(McAttack @ Oct. 17 2006,17:14) I've searched the forum and read much about the air mod and PCIII ...

It appears that many think that doing the small air mod and adding a PCIII on a bike with bolt on after-market pipes (I have Yoshi RS3s) will not provide any significant performance adavantages.

This is hard for me to understand, as I have done the same with other bikes and the results were signficant.

I put Viper race cans, a BMC filter and a Cobra fuel programmer on my bike and it made a BIG diff. WELL worth the money  
wink.gif

super.gif

(The Big Red One @ Oct. 18 2006,06:34)
(McAttack @ Oct. 17 2006,17:14) I've searched the forum and read much about the air mod and PCIII ...

I put Viper race cans, a BMC filter and a Cobra fuel programmer on my bike and it made a BIG diff. WELL worth the money  
wink.gif

super.gif
thanks ... did you just replace the stock filter with the BMC or did you do the small air box mod and BMC filter?

(McAttack @ Oct. 18 2006,15:52)
(The Big Red One @ Oct. 18 2006,06:34)

wink.gif

super.gif
thanks ... did you just replace the stock filter with the BMC or did you do the small air box mod and BMC filter?
I just replaced the filter. I'm sure the small box mod would only help that much more. Although I've heard sometimes the airbox mods take away a little low end. I did the mods on my bike one at a time just to see the impact....each one made a small but noticeable diff....together they made a VERY noticeable diff. I have to say tho that the fuel programmer made the biggest diff, of course that was the last mod too.....kinda tied the others together. GL and keep us informed
wink.gif
smile.gif

wink.gif

Back