Air filters

I guess I don't need to worry about what one guy posts on a nisson site about a test on a duramax diesel air filter
lurk.gif

yeah, I don't see the application here. of course, something that flows BETTER might allow more particles through. and it appears to not be BIKE filters tested. I've used the same K&N since I got my bike, works great, haven't bought new filters - I just keep cleaning the K&N. They've been around a long time. Too long to not be "Found out" how bad they are already. I got mine on the advice of a few race mechanics at the track [good for street, not the best for track] and am happy with the product

Over the years I've used/installed K&N,BMC,etc. on a ton of bikes. Both on mine, and customers, and friends along with various carb kits with outstanding results. K&N has spent I'm sure millions of $$$ in research to get where they are today. The enviornment that I ride my Busa in has never made me question the dirt trapping ability of my K&N, only it's airflow,which I've been more than happy. If you realy do decide to trash yours, send it my way I'll even pay the shipping
cool.gif

yeah, I don't see the application here.  of course, something that flows BETTER might allow more particles through.  and it appears to not be BIKE filters tested.  I've used the same K&N since I got my bike, works great, haven't bought new filters - I just keep cleaning the K&N.  They've been around a long time.  Too long to not be "Found out" how bad they are already.  I got mine on the advice of a few race mechanics at the track [good for street, not the best for track] and am happy with the product
+1

Awe, be nice now. I was just throwing an article out for opinions. I have K&N in the bike and the car. I haven't had any issues with either. Although the difference of this article not pertaining to bike filters is questionable. I can't say for sure but I would imagine the filtering element is all the same material. Whether it be for a bike or a car. Only the amount of and shape is different.

I have used K&N's on and off road.

On the road they are good filters and you will get an increase in power. Do they filter as good as a stocker? Probably not!

For off-road app's, I would not use a K&N ever again. Foam is the way to go. K&N's let in too much dirt when you are in dirty/dusty conditions.

I have a BMC on my Busa, like a K&N for street-app's, no complaints. I didn't buy it to get power, I got it so I can clean it when I need to and save money in the long run.

K&N use the same media in all their filters, bike or car, all the same. It flows better and when clean captured more critical size particles 20-50 mk. Smaller particles will not harm an engine at all, so who cares about them.

I used K&N in my BMW for 245,000 miles. Compression test shows 210-207 psi in all cylinders, cam lobes still shows machining marks on them, therefore no wear could be measured.

Just keep your filter clean and oiled, no hot water cleaning...

OEM will work just fine tho, just replace it on time. Dirty filter will sacrifice power and fuel efficiency.

I will admit something I have no idea how to clean these? How do you clean these filters? I remember when I bought mine I bought some bottle of something. Are you to keep them oiled as well? I understand that if they are oiled, they could trap dirt. But does the oil also restrict air flow? Can someone explain the actual steps and things that you need to do to keep your K&N filter clean? How often do you clean them?

I will admit something I have no idea how to clean these? How do you clean these filters? I remember when I bought mine I bought some bottle of something. Are you to keep them oiled as well? I understand that if they are oiled, they could trap dirt. But does the oil also restrict air flow? Can someone explain the actual steps and things that you need to do to keep your K&N filter clean? How often do you clean them?
http://knfilters.com/audio....ter.mp3

The k & N will flow better and it will consequently let more minute particles of dust and dirt in... it's a double egded sword. The particles that DO get in are so minute, that they are incinerated into co2/and or deposited into the oil----which you usually change, right??

I'd rather a little dirt get in, than suffocate the entire process. My .02 cents

The k & N will flow better and it will consequently let more minute particles of dust and dirt in... it's a double egded sword. The particles that DO get in are so minute, that they are incinerated into co2/and or deposited into the oil----which you usually change, right??

I'd rather a little dirt get in, than suffocate the entire process. My .02 cents
IF that was the case NO you do not want the particles in your motor... AZ for instance has an extreme amount of "silica" in their dust... absolute murder on motor..

We dyno'd dozens of motors (mostly turbo charged) with and without filters and various types of filters.

Of those filters, we found that "foam" based filters were easily the most consistent of the "high flow" filters.. (based on a 4 gas analyzer readings) They were also the most fragile when it comes to backfire damage (back through the intake)

KN filters tended to vary quite a bit and it was also very different from "new" to "cleaned" and the numbers would tend to bounce around a bit. Not entirely sure why, but it only happened on the KN filters...

Paper filters were always consistent but they needed more frequent changes.. (not a thing wrong with them BTW)

I run a "Pipercross" foam filter myself... is it worth the $80? probably not.. a good factory "pleated paper" filter probably provides plenty of air (as long as it is clean) but I wanted a "foam" filter..

I personally prefer to stay away from the KN filters (I do not like the open screen between elements myself and the exhaust gas fluctuations did not impress me)

Back