Air Filter

2012busa

Registered
My setup is a 2012 Hayabusa with a power commander five. I am getting ready to install a Tsukigi Cannon exhaust as soon as I get it ceramic coated. What air filter do you guys think is good for this set up. I have looked at BMC and Pipercross race filters. Thanks for the help.

You'll get a lot of opinions.
Maybe gain a hp or 2.
There's been a rumor floating around for years that you can lose a hp or 2 with an aftermarket filter...yet no one ever posts dyno results to prove it. And last time I checked, more air in and more air out, tuned, means more power(even if it is just a little).
So, before anyone else brings it up, bring your dyno proof with you.
I had the K&N, and later a BMC race in my gen2(BMC Race was about 2/3 as thick as the K&N). You can hear the difference from under the tank immediately, so the engine is able to breathe easier. The off idle throttle response felt better than stock too.
Best thing though is that they are reusable.

You'll get a lot of opinions.
Maybe gain a hp or 2.
There's been a rumor floating around for years that you can lose a hp or 2 with an aftermarket filter...yet no one ever posts dyno results to prove it. And last time I checked, more air in and more air out, tuned, means more power(even if it is just a little).
So, before anyone else brings it up, bring your dyno proof with you.
I had the K&N, and later a BMC race in my gen2(BMC Race was about 2/3 as thick as the K&N). You can hear the difference from under the tank immediately, so the engine is able to breathe easier. The off idle throttle response felt better than stock too.
Best thing though is that they are reusable.

Well the dyno sheets were provided by a member that ran a shop, but they're dated now. The Gen II hadn't been released and over the past 6 years things might have changed.

I'm running the factory filter in my '08. My understanding is that race filters flow more air, but they also allow more dirt to flow through your engine. If you're a daily rider I would suggest you stick with the OEM.

Well the dyno sheets were provided by a member that ran a shop, but they're dated now. The Gen II hadn't been released and over the past 6 years things might have changed.

I'm running the factory filter in my '08. My understanding is that race filters flow more air, but they also allow more dirt to flow through your engine. If you're a daily rider I would suggest you stick with the OEM.

ooooops........36,000 miles of daily riding later. I have not had a single issue, then again I am meticilous when it comes to cleaning and re-oiling the filter.

Supposedly,depending on who's azzhole...I mean who's opinon you wanna trust,a K&N or BMC will actually improve it's filtering capabilities as time goes by. Meaning the dirtier it gets,the more dirt will stick to it. I agree with the chef ^ somewhat. The most common mistakes made with a re-useable air filter is that people clean them too often,they use compressed air on them,they use harsh chemicals,and they over or under oil them. Remember that these filters are generally made of thin cotton.

RSD.

...and as far as HP gains,I would think that unless yer going to modify the airbox,there is little point in a more free flowing filter,only to have the air flow restricted by what happens after it passes thru the filter.

I got a nice gain with an HMF full system,a K&N filter,and an air box mod. 181 HP. :thumbsup:

RSD.

:thumbsup:

Opinions, Elbows and butholes....

You got it Chef. Who ya gonna trust? K&N website? BMC website? I got 80,000 miles out of a bike once...K&N from day 1. Then sold the bike,it might still be running?

I oil change alot(crank case oil,that is). To me thats the most important thing in motor longevity.

RSD.

ooooops........36,000 miles of daily riding later. I have not had a single issue, then again I am meticilous when it comes to cleaning and re-oiling the filter.
Well, that's still early my friend, and I didn't say after market filters , I said race filters. I'm not as good as you on maintenance. Over 40K and only one filter change. As a matter of fact I've got 20K miles on the current set of plugs :shutup:

Supposedly,depending on who's azzhole...I mean who's opinon you wanna trust,a K&N or BMC will actually improve it's filtering capabilities as time goes by. Meaning the dirtier it gets,the more dirt will stick to it. I agree with the chef ^ somewhat. The most common mistakes made with a re-useable air filter is that people clean them too often,they use compressed air on them,they use harsh chemicals,and they over or under oil them. Remember that these filters are generally made of thin cotton.

RSD.

and you kinda make my point friend ...... OEM just pops out and a new one pops in. Even a caveman like myself can do it :laugh:

I'm running Gen II and the filters are totally different my brother, but thanx a million. Zuki does like their parts :laugh: I think I paid $50 or $60 for the last one.

I'm running Gen II and the filters are totally different my brother, but thanx a million. Zuki does like their parts :laugh: I think I paid $50 or $60 for the last one.

My bad. I gotta start payin' more attention,I feel like the average post'er now....:whistle:

:laugh:RSD.

Back