Air Compressors

pward76

Donating Member
Registered
I'm going to be buying an air compressor for airing up tires - bike and cars, running an impact wrench to change tires, blowing up footballs, soccer balls, basketballs, etc. I am justifying the purchase by changing my own 'busa tires. I have already bought the tire changer and a static balancer.

I may want to do a little sandblasting, which I know takes mondo amounts of CFM, and maybe, someday, do a little painting - again, I know this take bunches of air.

I am looking at an Ingersoll Rand, model SSL3L, which is a single stage compressor providing 11.3 CFM at 90 psi and it has a 100% service rating when using synthetic oil. It has a 60 gallon vertical tank. I know this will handle my immediate needs, but will not be optimal for painting and blasting, where a two stage compressor would be better.

I'm just wondering what compressors others have, and their opinions about them.

So - compressor owners - speak up!

Sears biggest, bought the floor model and got ding/dent sale price (Half off)

You might want to get an automatic drain, especially if you're painting, and kind of filter to catch oil.

yep, already working on the plan for black iron pipe in the garage, complete with water traps, water filters, coalescing filter, regulator, etc.

not to mention the wiring....

laugh.gif

Wiring is easy, most lighting panels or distribution panels are near the garage. 110 or 220
rock.gif

Hope you need all that brother. I got a little pancake for tires. Think it cost me fifty bucks at wally world and plugs into my wall. Opened drain the other day and found no water.

(dadofthree @ Apr. 25 2007,15:57) Wiring is easy, most lighting panels or distribution panels are near the garage. 110 or 220
rock.gif
220, 221, whatever it takes.....

Sorry, I love that line from Mr. Mom.

I was talking with my electrician buddy, he said 35 amp was an odd size - cheaper to go with 40 Amp. The main panel for the house is in the garage, so I will only need 3 to 6 feet of 8 gauge (although I suppose if I can't scrounge any, I may have to buy a roll of it....)

Anyway - got another project!

I'm sure he'll use the right wire with that 40. Once he sees the motor he might find that a 30 handles it. Running current was 24 amps, didn't see in rush. l8tr

I have a small 2 stage from sears. 20 gallon tank and runs on 110, 120 whatever it takes. Because it's 2 stage it will run what low grade 60 gal singles will run. They dont make the 20 anymore, it's a 25 gallon now.
Plus side. Easily portable, wont need 220 to run it, Oil free, price, Runs quiet
Down side. Air delivery is a little down.
Here is the 25 gal

Back