Air Compressor?

NearDeath

Donating Member
Registered
All... I am going to buy a new air compressor in the next month and was wanting your feedback on which on to get. I am looking for the biggest bang for the buck...

So far, I am starting to firm up on a Sears Craftsman 80 gallon, 7HP, 175 PSI air compressor with about 10 CFM at 90 PSI. The cost is $480...

Anyone know of any better deals then this one or recommend a better compressor for the money? I will be using it for paiting, air tools, etc...

Thanks for the input...
biggrin.gif

Cloud

I haven't shopped for air compressors lately, but that seems ok. Maybe stop by Home Depot on the way to Sears and see what they have that is comparable.

i have the 5 hp 30 gallon craftsman , no problems at all , had a husky 60 gallon siezed after three months no luck with any warranty ?

i bought a cheezy harbour fraight one used at a pawn shop about a year ago for 25 dollars and it still runs strong use it all the time air tires run air wrenches used it to roof my moms house damn thing hasnt died yet

You can't beat craftsmen tools. my last compressor lasted over 30 years. Good parts availability also if you ever need it.

Thats about the same compressor I have. I had a diaphram style 30 gal for several years. Didn't keep up with some of my tools, alot of air in the line, no umph. Gave it to a guy at work for free and bought the big twin cylinder. No complaints with it.

I guess maybe the question I need to ask is how much compressor do I need...?

I would like to make an attempt at auto-painting myself with it and I also want to have PLENTY of power for all power tools.... How much is enough for what I want to do without constantly waiting for power?

Cloud

You could get by with the 5 HP 25 to 33 gallon from what it sounds like, unless you plan to do a LOT of painting. Impact guns are not very air hungry, as they are used in short bursts. Same for rachets. Grinders and drills need more. Check the specs on the paint gun, a 5 to 6 HP model could be fine. You need to know what the tool needs, usually rated in cfm @ psi, and compare that to what the compressor can deliver.

A 2 stage compressor is more efficiant than a single stage.

But it sounds like a good deal on that 2 stage
smile.gif

Back