Air compressor switch

Jimbusaha

Registered
Hi all...I havent been on here lately. This winter has been brutal up here. I would like to be down on those wide open roads that never see the salty dirty snowy icy, ext, ect. Roads! Haha....well anyway I turned on the salamander and and got to work on the bike! I've been dying to ride her but before I put her up, the air compressor for the air shifter stopped working. Today I discovered it was the toggle switch...easy fix right? Well I'm not sure if the existing switch was correct. It says its a 3A 125VAC...Im 99% sure the electrical system is 12 volts DC...does anyone know about this. The switch worked but maybe it went out since it wasn't the right kind or it doesn't matter? Please help!

I didn't install it so I'm not sure if its fused. I didn't see any but good question! I will have to check this week. Thanks for the help so far!

If the circuit isn't fused then the weakest component becomes the fuse. I could not find the specs for the MPS air compressor set up, but it comes with a light duty slide switch from the looks of it. Another compressor I saw was 12V 8A or 95 watts. Your switch on a 12 volt system could handle around 375 watts.

I see you at the bottom of the thread. Any information about your compressor would be helpful.

My suggestion is to put it on a momentary switch that you have to press for it to air up. Seen way too many people leave a ogle switch on and burn up the compressor when they forgot it was on.

My suggestion is to put it on a momentary switch that you have to press for it to air up. Seen way too many people leave a ogle switch on and burn up the compressor when they forgot it was on.
MPS sells a pressure switch that would take care of that.

Thanks guys...I still need to get back to it being busy lately. Robert, you meant without a fuse, the switch becomes the weakest link? I guess if that's the case I should stick with the same one if I dont get a fuse....
And about the pressure switch.. good suggestion, I did that with my fan toggle switch...left it on unknowingly and drained the battery last year! I cant say that would happen with the air compressor as likely...I rarely have used the air shifter plus the gauge sits up in front. I would hate to burn it up though!
Hopefully I'll be riding in a cpl more months....crazy winter lol

These days I'm surprised I don't walk out of the house naked. I worked electrical and instrumentation for 25 years , so it's all simple to me. The switch just goes in line with the hot wire, basically acts like thw switch without human involvement :laugh:

I would fuse it friend. A busa on fire is ugly :whistle:

I agree, fused is the best way.

But why put the switch on the hot wire? I always ran it on the ground. That way I did not have an extra hot wire running from the front to the back of the bike? Just curious

That would work too. But two wires end up at the compressor a negative and a positive. So there's no wire to run. The switch gets placed in either wired near the compressor. It also gets plumbed into the pressure side of the compressor.

I searched for info on my air compressor and tried to find an inline fuse but no luck. So I decided to go with the same switch and forget about getting a new fuse I finally found the same switch at Radio Shack put it on in works great I am wondering why the old one went bad but there was no sign of any heat problems so hopefully just got old.
My next discovery was that I had some old spark plugs that needed replaced I thought I'd check on them since last year my bike would start sort of rough and then sometimes it would die idling at the beginning of a ride. They sure needed replacement, glad to have new plugs in there. She's sittin pretty and waiting on some nice weather...probably will be waiting awhile. I guess my dreams of riding will have to do for now! Been having some of those

Back