Air compressor for air shifter.

crawler

Registered
i've been running a CO2 air shifter setup for a while now. (Cycle-Tek awesome setup)

I'm finally going to an aftermarket arm and it has an air tank built in. So, ditching the bottle and going to a compressor.

What is the smallest and or cheapest compressor you guys have found? Also where are u guys mounting them?

Bike will have a tiger tail, so don't say the trunk :rofl:

I've heard of a cheap small one being available at auto-zone but haven't seen it.

Thanks,

I have a slime compressor from auto zone is in a square box and is small but one thing the compressor died yesterday after one year of use and I was thinking in change to co2. :beerchug:

I'd heard there was a compressor from aut-zone that guys were taking out of the case and using.

Where was it mounted and any pics of install?

I considered that route, because in the event of failure; I can pic one up about evry 5 blocks in Dallas.

Viar compressor...good out put to 150psi. CHeck Ebay. Mine is mounted on the right side of the tail. Iv also heard of guys making bracket for the compressor to be held under the fuel tank? Make sure you use some type of isolation to keep the vibration from making so much noise.

DSCN1327.jpg

ive tried about every cheap compressor there is. had problems with all of them. none of them last and usually let me down at the track when i needed them the most. i even keep a few spares in the tool box. last year i went with the one mps sells. it builds pressure quick and i havent had a problem with it yet.

I can't argue with that too much. I'm either going the cheap route and that has me one right now and get a spare for the toolbox, or Order the MPS. I can get three of the cheap ones for the price of the MPS.

But, really for me, my greatest concern is size. I want something packaged nice and tight.

How much room is available the subframe and the tail on a Gen2?

I've seen Gen 1s with pumps, electronics, air tanks/bottles-stuck there. Never have seen much with a K8-9

I've been snatching up the cheapies from Farm and Fleet. otd is like $13 a piece. burned up one last year that was very well used, on my second now with a spare in the trailer. Mine typically go from 0-160 psi at least once a week. I would seriously consider putting a schrader valve fitting somewhere in the system, that way if you do lose your compressor at least you can use the track air, or someones compressor, etc. BigRod's is in a good spot, especially for an air in the arm bike. I've got mine bolted to my Tiger Tail, just behind the rear seat latch under the tail section.

I've been snatching up the cheapies from Farm and Fleet. otd is like $13 a piece. burned up one last year that was very well used, on my second now with a spare in the trailer. Mine typically go from 0-160 psi at least once a week. I would seriously consider putting a schrader valve fitting somewhere in the system, that way if you do lose your compressor at least you can use the track air, or someones compressor, etc. BigRod's is in a good spot, especially for an air in the arm bike. I've got mine bolted to my Tiger Tail, just behind the rear seat latch under the tail section.

I deffinately plan on having a fill valve. All good advice guys. What are the measurements on the pump you're running?

removing co2 to go with air compressor would be the last thing I would do, but thats just me. I love CO2, hell you can get a TON of shifts off a single bottle.

removing co2 to go with air compressor would be the last thing I would do, but thats just me. I love CO2, hell you can get a TON of shifts off a single bottle.

I agree. That's why it's the last thing.

Unfortunately with the way I use my bike, I'm unable to carry a bottle in a convienient location. Unless I mount to a footpeg or something. I'm wantng to use my shifter daily so to speak. My hump is loaded with rain gear emergency stuff. I'd run a 20oz co2 bottle where the nitrous bracket is in my arm, except then I'd never get any fun runs on the street and I've seen more than one bottle vanish on the streets of Dallas.

I love my shifter as is. Just don't have a good place to carry the bottle. Even thought about under the tank with a remote valve.

So I'm back to compressor. Probably going to go with the slime pump or rob one out of an "on the side of the road compressor" from Wally world. Ill keep my regulator probably. When I go to nitrous, I'll run the additional lines and shutoff to run it off the bottle.

Last edited:
If you have nos on the bike, i'd run shifter off the nos bottle, thats what i did on the wife's 05 nos bike, worked very nice

i have an mps compressor mounted behind the turn signal in one of my little tail tumors. it's in the rails of the subframe, had to make some clever brackets. I have the pressure switched mounted to the tiger tail and i have the pmr tether with a rocker switch up there. no one can even tell i have an airshifter unless they know to look for certain pieces. i dig it.

ps, i never notice when my compressor turns on unless the engine is off. my bike vibrates and is loud enough i dont even notice the compressor.

Last edited:
I can't argue with that too much. I'm either going the cheap route and that has me one right now and get a spare for the toolbox, or Order the MPS. I can get three of the cheap ones for the price of the MPS.

But, really for me, my greatest concern is size. I want something packaged nice and tight.

How much room is available the subframe and the tail on a Gen2?

I've seen Gen 1s with pumps, electronics, air tanks/bottles-stuck there. Never have seen much with a K8-9

That same compressor I have ....Iv mounted on GenIIs, just on the opo ( left ) side of the tail..NICE FIT> You could aslo if stretched install it under the tail right behind the battery box.

If you have nos on the bike, i'd run shifter off the nos bottle, thats what i did on the wife's 05 nos bike, worked very nice

I'll set the lines up so I can run either. That way when I head to the track and have the bottle, I can run it off the bottle if the compressor fails. Problem is, I want to use the shifter regularly and I don't carry a bottle at all times. The local cops already like to hammer anybody that isn't riding a Harley type bike. So pulling me over with a nitrous bottle would really make their day. One officer almost got giddy when I opened my hump and he saw my 12oz CO2 hooked up. That took a bit to get him to stop lecturing me about nitrous on the street.

Larin 12V Portable Air Compressor (250 PSI) at Blain's Farm & Fleet

That's the compressor I used. I take the cases off of them, run a bolt through one of the mounting holes and wire it up. :beerchug:

I've been sourcing a few locally that are similar. I like that its good to 250psi. I still have my regulator from cycle tek. I just need to see how high Adams rates their airtank. If I could run it to 250, that would keep me from running the compressor as much.

i have an mps compressor mounted behind the turn signal in one of my little tail tumors. it's in the rails of the subframe, had to make some clever brackets. I have the pressure switched mounted to the tiger tail and i have the pmr tether with a rocker switch up there. no one can even tell i have an airshifter unless they know to look for certain pieces. i dig it.

ps, i never notice when my compressor turns on unless the engine is off. my bike vibrates and is loud enough i dont even notice the compressor.

If you have a pic with your tail off, I'd love to see it. I was thinking the same place, was jsut curious what the space was like.

That same compressor I have ....Iv mounted on GenIIs, just on the opo ( left ) side of the tail..NICE FIT> You could aslo if stretched install it under the tail right behind the battery box.

Good info BigRod.

Thanks for all the tips and advice guys. For ease of replacement, I'd considered under the tank. But, I figured the engine heat would dramatically decrease pump life.

SO, its going in the tail somewhere.

Back