air box mods

flitemedic13

Registered
ive read alot about air box mods....is the "small box mod" when u just remove the flapper valve? If so whats the "big box mod"? also ive read from diffrent sites about the flapper valve removal....some guys just take the flapper valve off and thats all, and some seal the hole with silicone after taking the flapper off....which is the right way? ive seen pics for both...with and without sealed.
also heard that there is a dip in HP/torque in the low to midrange...but it helps at the upper end ...is that accurate?
ive got a BMC race ready to drop in with my next oil change, im switching to silkolene pro4 10w-50, and engine ice, pair removal and block off...just wonderin if i should even bother with the air box thing...ive heard both good and bad from people......thanx
all_coholic.gif

well that was part of my question..i didnt know what the actual modification was for the big box..and im assuming the small box mod is the flapper valve removal....and is it even worth doing if u have a dip in performance at low and mid range? and why some people are sealing the hole and some are leaving it open after they remove the flap?

<!--EDIT|flitemedic13
Reason for Edit: None given...|1089216218 -->

Man you ask a good question, I seen a full air box mod and I seen the small air box mod everyone talks about? I plan on getting the BMC Race Filter and am really wanting to know myself what mods to use? Please help New Busa Rider here

yea, i have seen the small mod done those 2 diffrent ways, with the hole sealed and without and dont know why or which is better or correct even...never seen a large mod (sounds like i dont need it - but still unsure of what it is or what is done). i read some on here when i did a search and a couple of guys i guess wish they hadnt done it because of power loss in low and mid....so just tryin to get a consensus on if its an overall good thing, or just an overrated mod ?

another concern I have is should I specify I have done the air box mod when getting a PC3 mapped to my bike with bMC race filter?

I don't even have my bike yet, its going thru customs in Italy and I already have boxes of mods for the damn thing
biggrin.gif
I have waited on the whole air box mod even thought I will be installing a BMC race filter, block off plates, Gen3, clutch mod, PC3r, and a couple other nice to haves. Once I get to the States (Providing the war is over) it's off to Ft Lauderdale for the Stage 2........install

Patience is key, horsepower.... a necessity!!!!!!

Once the airbox mods wee used a little more. I do not se as many sing the large box mod, because you loose the ram air o the top. Not that you would have to worry to much about on the top. Try keeping the box and using a feeflow airfilter like BMC. You will get a little out of it. If you should still want to mod the box go with a small mod.

hey ninja...how do u explain some people leaving the hole open and some siliconing it closed after taking the flap off? i thought u just pull off the flap and your done?

I am kind of surprised you are not getting any better replies about the box mods to be honest...

The air box mod has come up time and time again. Some say its worth it and others say it doesn't do a damn thing... Not sure what to beleive, so I never did it... I figured the gain was probably too small for me to go out there and start modifying the air box...

You should ping monsterspeedfreek... I am sure he will know the differences and be able to point you in the direction of which mod you should do and how. This forum may have the airbox mods listed under modifications. You may want to search for this topic, I am sure you will find plenty of info. on it...

Cloud

Back