Aftermarket Parts Business Idea--thoughts?

Mythos

Registered
I have a few ideas for stuff like rear tire huggers and non mechanical/non-electronic, simple bolt on stuff. I would love it if someone would invent a passenger footrest eliminator kit with block off caps and an exhaust hanger(s) to replace the OEM parts on the GenII busa. I'm determined to make my own out of fiberglass and aluminum tubing/plate. SO WHY NOT MAKE A BUNCH???? Would people buy these from me online if the aluminum could be high quality welded T60? ...and the caps were molded fiberglass or why not CF?? Same process.

What about this? I figured out the proper length and angles for these aluminum license plate brackets. They are by far the lightest fender eliminator available for the GenII busa, I would bet on that. Spray paint them black and sell for $25 which is a lot less than any other fender eliminator. Include some kind of tag light that works well with the setuo and now it's $40. Still a great price.
busalicplatbrac.jpg

I know anyone could fab this stuff up in there basement like I do but if its already available and you can just pay me a few bucks for my hassel with figuring it and getting it perfect....why not?

I just thought I'd put the idea out there to hear some thoughts on the general idea of an online mom and pop aftermarket bike parts business. How do they work..? Worth a try?

I'll say from a guy that has done this for some time and invented things only to have others steal it and sell as their own, your gonna fight a loosing battle.. You will end up giving more away than time is worth...I got to point most stuff I create now only gets installed on bikes I work on, so it's not copied anymore..If you want $20 somebody will make it for $12 shipped and your done with time and material tied up you will now have t give away.. I'll only give you a honest answer., may not be what you wanna hear...I just had to refab a customers custom tag bracket, cause the frame had screws deeper than normal. A normal person would complain cause it didn't fit out the box, how would you fix that when both not brought from you? Now with a few internet key strokes your parts are junk and no good, now you can't sell anything... see what I mean?

Good Luck In whatever you decide, but don't count on selling little parts to feed your family alone...

I'll say from a guy that has done this for some time and invented things only to have others steal it and sell as their own, your gonna fight a loosing battle..

awwww DAMN! I was just talking about the Chinese faux Pazzo levers to someone. Far as I was able to tell, they were very comparable in quality to real Pazzos. This is the age of cheap quick copies. Patents don't mean squat over seas and prolly not worth the time for most simple stuff that a guy might come up with. If you catch someone copying your patented product there is not much you can do except spend big $$ to get a court injunction to make them stop. If a copier has no money, it is prolly not worth trying to sue them.

Oh well. I'm still making my GenII busa passenger footpeg eliminator caps and exhaust hanger. I'll be making a mold for mine, if it works out well, I'll make an announcement and see if I can sell a few dozen to make it all worth the effort.

Why the heck has no one at least made an exhaust hanger for the GenII? those passenger footrests must weigh close to 5 lbs and the tail would look ok even with the openings left unfilled.

I made some fillers from an old set of pegs I had. Didn't need the exh hanger but filled the holes nicely. Actually sold them to someone on here, can't remember who now.??? Wouldn't have been hard to add a bracket for exh though if it was needed.

DSCN8395.jpg

HEY, that looks NICE! Maybe even better than what I had in mind.

Hope you won't be pissed if i copy you! :laugh:

I would still go with making a mold of the OEM part and using fiberglass to cut the weight to minimum. Very nice wheel treatment you have there also.

...and that little hugger! LOVE THAT!! Is that a cut down Hot Bodies?

My God, you might have actually created some competition for the tail on that girl in your avatar! Nice work.

Knock yourself out. Even if I did it's still better to be pssed off than on right? Unless your into that. :whistle: HeII here's even a cpl pics of how I cut them up.
As for the hugger honestly can't remember, might be HB's. But that just sits now and I got rid of my carbon huggers as I've been running the 200/55 and they just don't fit.

Cut,
shape,
sand,
glassbead,
powdercoat.

DSCN6736.jpg

DSCN6737.jpg

DSCN6738.jpg

DSCN6739.jpg

DSCN6740.jpg

DSCN6741.jpg

DSCN6742.jpg

Thanks again for the process pics. I really like that. I was thinking of making a plaster mold from the original parts and then pressing some clay into the mold to copy. Then removing the hook and filling the triangle hole and smoothing the blocks to a short blunt point,....sorta an echo of the downward point of the tail.

I like yours though. that shape would match my concave HotBodies blackout lenses on the tail lights.

Now I feel pretty stupid about about *****ing about the copying. :eh: I can't think of anything better to do with my tail than what you have going with that red one you have in the pics.

If you want to make money selling custom motorcycle parts you have to come up with an idea that no one has before. The biggest thing is that enjoy doing it and take pride in what you do. You will make a few extra buck but in all honesty adding in the labor spent making it you arent going to quit your day job and retire early.
I came up with a few neat ideas on the GENI VMAX, 3 gauge pod, and an LED tail/brake light that took the place of a rear reflector. I sold some and made money but I mostly spent the time making it while I was at work (Federal Job with plenty of free time) I enjoyed doing it and made a few bucks I didnt do it to make $$$$$$. Go for it make your product post em on forums and ebay , craigslist.

I would love to find peg extension for rear pegs.. square tube out turn 90 degrees 1 1/2. Inches down turn 9o0 degrees again. Then slot tube to put foot peg back in

Just do it for fun and enjoy to the fullest, instead of making it as a profitable business.

I suppose we will see. If I come up with something that is mass produceable, I may have a go at it. Thanks for your replies everyone.

Back