AEM stand alone?

SuperSaiyan

Registered
So I'm still kinda new to turbo bikes and am learning as I go. Mine has a stand alone aem computer which I haven't really seen on other bikes. Just curious as to the positives or negatives of the aem and if it's just over kill or not needed? Again just curious I have experience with big stuff 3 systems in FI cars but this is my first turbo bike. . . The bike does run great almost as smooth as my gen 2.

heard a few using them on ricer imports but never on a Turbo bike. Don't know much about em. PM Frank at Powerhouse. he is the forum Tuner Guru.

I am interested in this as well. A plug n play ecu for the gen1 would be a hit for the turbo folks but unfortunately that isnt a big crowd and so a manufacturer probably wouldnt want to specialize in a product catering especially to a turbo crowd. Hence why it appears that gen 1 turbo owners (and nitrous) have piggyback systems for 90% of the crowd (plus gauges would need to be replaced so I hear?). Select tuners can and will work with the stock ecu but it is dated and some flat out refuse to tune with it as the flash is slow.

But, question to the OP, are you absolutely certain that your AEM system is a complete standalone? Your ecu is completely removed from the system?

AEM is awesome as long as it's a v2 or infinity system. The v1 boxes do the trick, but have far less adjustability.

I run a v2 box on my 500whp e85 240sx. It's a great system, and has full flex fuel capability which I use. My only gripe is the accel enrichment and delta tables are only good up to a certain point depending on theottle body size, and intake plenum volume. But on a Busa I don't see that being an issue at all.

I'd look in to the holley efi hp box. It's 1300, and does everything that $3200 motec can do. Mps has a plug and play harness for the Busa. We will be installing this system on an upcoming grudge bike build. I also have a Holley efi system on my big single turbo LS mustang. Stupid easy to use, and I would suggest it to anyone making a jump to a first time stand alone. You literally have to try to blow your stuff up with the Holley system.

The motecs can be very overwealming. Not saying you can't learn it, but it's very advanced. I really like pro efi, also doing one of those on a bike now. Great software, but it's stupid expensive.

I am interested in this as well. A plug n play ecu for the gen1 would be a hit for the turbo folks but unfortunately that isnt a big crowd and so a manufacturer probably wouldnt want to specialize in a product catering especially to a turbo crowd. Hence why it appears that gen 1 turbo owners (and nitrous) have piggyback systems for 90% of the crowd (plus gauges would need to be replaced so I hear?). Select tuners can and will work with the stock ecu but it is dated and some flat out refuse to tune with it as the flash is slow.

But, question to the OP, are you absolutely certain that your AEM system is a complete standalone? Your ecu is completely removed from the system?

Yup, stand alone . I believe only my speedo, tach, and odometer work

AEM is awesome as long as it's a v2 or infinity system. The v1 boxes do the trick, but have far less adjustability.

I run a v2 box on my 500whp e85 240sx. It's a great system, and has full flex fuel capability which I use. My only gripe is the accel enrichment and delta tables are only good up to a certain point depending on theottle body size, and intake plenum volume. But on a Busa I don't see that being an issue at all.

I'd look in to the holley efi hp box. It's 1300, and does everything that $3200 motec can do. Mps has a plug and play harness for the Busa. We will be installing this system on an upcoming grudge bike build. I also have a Holley efi system on my big single turbo LS mustang. Stupid easy to use, and I would suggest it to anyone making a jump to a first time stand alone. You literally have to try to blow your stuff up with the Holley system.

The motecs can be very overwealming. Not saying you can't learn it, but it's very advanced. I really like pro efi, also doing one of those on a bike now. Great software, but it's stupid expensive.
Good info.... Not sure which mine is

V2 looks like the attached pic. The v1 is a bit more boxier looking, and is grey.

image.jpg

Back