AEM 50-1000 fuel pump

Valingt

Registered
this is going in a 2003 busa.

ok so i got this pump and it fits but just barely. i have bench tested it to make sure it works all is good form the plug to the pump off of a batt.

the problem is im blowing the 10amp fuse when i plug it all in and use the bike.

so the question is what is wrong did i not hook the pump up right?
do i need to ground the take by bolting it down first?
does the pump pull to much for the bike?
does anyone know how much the pump needs for a fuse for it to work?
can i hook this up to a switch and just run it that way? also not the way i would like to go.

i have done the filter mod and it has a new filter.

i found this. would a 20 melt the wire?

Min Voltage Input: 6 volts
Max Voltage Input: 18 volts
Current Draw (40 psi): 12 amps (13.5v)
Current Draw (80 psi): 15 amps (13.5v)

i found this. would a 20 melt the wire?

Min Voltage Input: 6 volts
Max Voltage Input: 18 volts
Current Draw (40 psi): 12 amps (13.5v)
Current Draw (80 psi): 15 amps (13.5v)

It looks to me like the pump has too much current draw for the 10 amp fuse that is in that circuit.
Even at 40psi it draws 12 amps, but on initial start up the current draw will be even higher.
Put a 15amp fuse in it, if that blows try a 20 amp fuse but bear in mind the wire diameter must also be correct for the amount of current drawn.
Check the wiring and feel with your fingers if its getting hot with the pump running (after the fuse changed to NOT blow, but to carry the load sufficiently), and if it is getting hot, switch off the key.
Hook up an amp meter to the power feed wire on the pump's connector and switch on the key to cycle the fuel pump
Check the amp meter to find out how many amps the wiring is carrying.
If it needs heavier wire and heavier fuse to run this aftermarket pump then so be it.

Last edited:
ok so the pump works and is omg sweet.

so you have to make a screen in the bottom. also i had a ground not working right.
20 amp fuse works good.

this pump made the bike have way more pep then before.

Back