Advise please

StrtRac3r

Registered
So I took my bike into a well rated shop near me. I don't like to mess with suspension and bearings myself, I don't know why because I know what to do for the most part.

So I noticed a weird noise from my rear wheel. A rubbery squeal, so I figure I'd better take a peek. This is what I found while taking apart. (don't mind the dirt, I ride year round)

image-1726030358.jpg

image-1210167443.jpg

image-1726030358.jpg

image-3336883331.jpg

image-3261459523.jpg

image-1332345916.jpg

image-614199661.jpg

image-1026411112.jpg

image-134416095.jpg

image-79081410.jpg

image-416135357.jpg

image-3333128421.jpg

image-1210167443.jpg

image-770769151.jpg

image-1040793436.jpg

Wow. Things like this let you remember why you do it yourself. I cant stand shops that are supposed to be pros doing this kind of crap. That sucks sorry man.

So on the drive side there was a bit of strange looking wear on the spacers, and some weird buildup. And the seal for the bearing should be flush right? Also rolling the bearing doesn't feel smooth like butter at all, and has side to side play. Also some wear looking marks on the inner race.

As far as the brake side. The locking nut for the chain tension bolt was not put back in place. They reused this crap pin. The inner spacer feels like its getting caught on the bearing. The bearing also feels crappy. And that seal was put on completely wrong.

As far as the axle, yeah that's how it came out. Rust, and wear looking spots.

Let's here the advise, anything you see that I missed? What would you say to this shop, request repairs or do it myself? See anything completely unusable?

k8BlueGoldBusa said:
Wow. Things like this let you remember why you do it yourself. I cant stand shops that are supposed to be pros doing this kind of crap. That sucks sorry man.

Yea, while it was in there I was kickin myself of why I just didn't buy the right tools and doin it myself.

Yea, while it was in there I was kickin myself of why I just didn't buy the right tools and doin it myself.

You should! Especially if you ride year round. That axel and the rest of the rear end has been long over due for some love and maintenance. As far as the shop returning it to you in that condition, shame on them. lesson learned.

cheferman65 said:
You should! Especially if you ride year round. That axel and the rest of the rear end has been long over due for some love and maintenance. As far as the shop returning it to you in that condition, shame on them. lesson learned.

Yeah I've only had this bike for a year (running) so I figured I'd bring it in and have a professional take care of the bearings and susp. I do the maintenance myself. I don't know exactly how it looked when they took it apart. But a year ago it looked a lot better than this.***edit last tire change a few months ago, not a year*** If it looked this way when they took it apart I would have appreciated a call and would have bought replacement parts. Lookin it up on bike bandit new axle, spacers, and bearings about $220.

880jedi said:
Name of the shop? :banghead:

Sacramento motorcycle service. Speaking with them and a few reviews I found seemed good.

Buuuut you know the story.

**** I will be talking to them. And if this was a Friday night job by them and they take care of me I will let y'all know****

I'm confused a bit?
They did the bearings?
You heard squeal after picking it up?
They put it back together wrong?

What damage did all this do? I see how bearing seal looks chewed up a bit, what else?
Other than age and use what's wrong with the axle?

Blanca Busa said:
I'm confused a bit?
They did the bearings?
You heard squeal after picking it up?
They put it back together wrong?

What damage did all this do? I see how bearing seal looks chewed up a bit, what else?
Other than age and use what's wrong with the axle?

Far as the axle goes, there are a couple marks that I tried to picture. Was kinda seized to the bearings.

Other than that, my spacers didn't look like this when I got the tire changed a couple k ago. And the bearings look and feel like crap. And, the seal. And.... You can read the rest on the other post back up top.

The squeal was a squeak at one point of rotation. Didn't notice till today when I rolled it in the garage off. Usually I pull in running.

A couple posts down I gave detail on my concerns.

You can take it back but I wouldn't tell them you pulled it apart. They will just use that as an excuse to say you voided any warranty you had on there parts and service. Just out it back together and tell them It squeaks and to look at it..... See if they make it right or try to screw you.

Cut your losses and chock it up as a lesson learned. Wouldn't take my bike back there who knows what else they may screw up unintentionally or otherwise.... Can probably find an axle on ebay a lot cheaper than buying it brand new

Hmmmm, tough situation. Metal parts (spacers and axel) look usable other than the cotter pin. About how far did you ride after leaving the shop? What work did they do? Just change bearings? Brake pads, adjust chain? Set suspension? What did they bill you for? The reason I ask, is there anything else to check to see if parts are missing or installed incorrectly? Was any front work done or all in the rear?

Call them. See if they are a stand up shop and will take care of the issue. If not, let them know that neither you or anyone you associate with will be doing business with their shop in the future. Contact the BBB, Angie's List, and post up on Craigslist how they have responded to their work. Let them know what you plan to do if they cannot resolve your issue.

If you are determined to get all new parts, check the for sale section for part outs and shop cleanups. You'll do better than bike bandit and those guys can normally answer an install questions as well.

Good luck, man.

02BusaMark said:
Hmmmm, tough situation. Metal parts (spacers and axel) look usable other than the cotter pin. About how far did you ride after leaving the shop? What work did they do? Just change bearings? Brake pads, adjust chain? Set suspension? What did they bill you for? The reason I ask, is there anything else to check to see if parts are missing or installed incorrectly? Was any front work done or all in the rear?

Call them. See if they are a stand up shop and will take care of the issue. If not, let them know that neither you or anyone you associate with will be doing business with their shop in the future. Contact the BBB, Angie's List, and post up on Craigslist how they have responded to their work. Let them know what you plan to do if they cannot resolve your issue.

If you are determined to get all new parts, check the for sale section for part outs and shop cleanups. You'll do better than bike bandit and those guys can normally answer an install questions as well.

Good luck, man.

Sorry I didn't finish that thought in my first description. Yes they did wheel bearings and steering stem bearings. So I did bring the whole bike in, which means they did all the chain adjustments. (leaving that nut to lockdown the tensioner loose as well. My fault not to check). Probably put 200 miles on since pickup.

I guess my main concern is the spacers. To me it looks like those bearings were spinning on them instead of being a bearing. And the fact the bearings have about 1/4 inch movement side to side (thought they are supposed to be pretty solid) I think I'll be replacing those anyway because they feel like they are rolling with sand inside.

WHAT #1busa Said...It's not like they had a difficult job. If they screwed up an easy job like that, I'd stay far away from these people! Let em' know though!!

Back