advice needed

stoutgat.jroux

Registered
hi guys. my wife is driving a honda cbr 929. some idot tried to jump start the bike and burned her cdi unit! the bike is working with the coded key sistem. i've got a donor cdi but it is from a cbr 954. will it work in her bike? the plugs and size everything is the same as the burned out one? I did got a very even response from the bike shops half say put it in and it will work the others say that the strokes timing and all is diverent from the two bike's. so i am as lost as a baby in a clean room. please i need some sound advice.

Are the part numbers the same? If so in would try it. You could also call one of our sponsors, Justin at Honda East and ask him.

Sent from my Ford F-150 using Forum Runner

Idk? No offense but this is a busa forum so I'm not sure how much cbr expertise is available. Have you tried the Fireblade forum? Somebody on there should know what is and isn't compatible

#1 i know it is a busa site:poke: lol but was not willing to go down to the lower standard biker guys to ask their help.thus is why i ask the best kind of peeps:bowdown: . 2tone i will go and compare the numbers. to phone over ther as i am from South afrca wont be that good :).

Capacitive discharge ignitions generally take a crank or cam position signal to determine when to fire. They fire late in the compression cycle to maximize burn and they all fire just after top dead center. If all of the plugs are the same, it is likely the same unit, although the timing might be slightly off. This won't hurt the bike, but it could reduce the power output if it fires at a different timing degree than the original one. If the timing is different it won't be more than a few degrees, so it wouldn't be any different than running a distributor in or out a few degrees. If the bike idles smoothly after installing the new unit then you are good to go.

thank you mestona. it does make sense to me from what I could find by searching the net is taht the 954 is at 9709 and the 929 9630 this is the cam position. will try installing it on monday and take it for a run.

thank you mestona. it does make sense to me from what I could find by searching the net is taht the 954 is at 9709 and the 929 9630 this is the cam position. will try installing it on monday and take it for a run.

No problem, just let it idle up to temp. first before you go for a shake down run. If it starts cold and will idle up to operating temperature without any hiccups, than I would trust it to run ok.

Back