Advice for the young people!

Lurch

The milkman cometh!!!
Donating Member
Registered
Young people, please read and believe what I say.

Now I know I am not the only person in this boat, but it strikes me very hard.
Today the Veterans Administration signed off for my disabled parking permit. They say that I am now handicapped enough that I deserve close parking.
I know there are people that say "GREAT, way to go". Now the kicker I am only 44. They still have not determined if I am disabled enough for an increase in my benefits, but I do qualify for the parking.

You youngsters may be asking what does this have to do with US? Well let me tell you. I injured my knees twice while in the service. I was told both times to stay off my feet, no weight bearing and the such. But me being the Young, Dumb, Gung-Ho marine that I was thought I knew better. I continued to do my job and did not care about taking it easy. I continued to climb Telephone poles, Ladders and what ever needed to be done to get my job done. Yes with a full leg cast. I continued to walk where ever I went and did not care.
Now I am paying the price. At 44, I can barely kneel, have a hard time walking without pain. All of this because I never healed properly when injured.

So if you are injured. Take the time and heal properly.
This is all very depressing to me. I do not like to be DOWN and unable to do what I want when I want.

I can attest to everything my Lurch said in this message. I see him struggle with the pain every day. I am lucky I haven't suffered permanent damage from past injuries but I have seriously extended my recovery time by not letting myself heal. Listen to your body. Just because you can do something (lifting, etc.) doesn't mean your should. --Mrs. Lurch :down:

Good advice. Let injuries heal.

Now for you my brother, look into getting those knees replaced. I met a guy skiing about 10 years ago that said it was the best decision he ever made. They can do wonders these days. No need for you to live with the pain.

Good advice. Now for you my brother, look into getting those knees replaced. I met a guy skiing about 10 years ago that said it was the best decision he ever made. They can do wonders these days. No need for you to live with the pain.

:poke: Say, I just met this woman and we were discussing her knee operation. The Dr. comes in the room after the operation and says to her about an "hour's window will tell if we have to amputate and the surgery did not go well" is what they did not tell her going in.

Lucky her, she recovered and is healing. I'm trying to get in her pants so I can maybe tell you more about the operation. Sheeze, after 3 minutes of what I need for my pos straight to stay in shape is hand assist or grab an old bag and fill her _______ Fill in the blanks I can still use my knees is climb on top that horse of a beach is she tall!

I'd use wheelchair is you look like there is nothing wrong with you is that kid wondering why you can get out of that car so easy is little do they know about pain is try racing for a few decades and find out about pain/level/management is the sheet time is the chits you can't even get out of bed to the point is it is easier to lay in your pee than get out of bed.

:rulez: Pay bye the rules is one body and no turning back.

You did it to yourself is no one's fault butt year own :beerchug:

:goodboy: AS s if boys will be boys you are wasting your time like me is what do you know is you are not to be trusted is over 30.

Herniated a disc back when I was 19 in the USAF. Had I done a proper warmup, it wouldn't have happened. Now, I have to live with back pain that comes and goes and will probably last the rest of my life..

well let me put my input in i am 44 and was ran over by a coke cola trucker backing up to a loading dock one night i had 15 surgerys and was put on SS and they gave me my plates and i can't even ride my busa but i have custom the bike and just trailer it to shows the hole system is backwards why is this so hard ???????????????????????? yes they did have great insurance and took care of me for the rest of my life but i can't ride a bike ever and i live with pain daily

Last edited:
What are you trying to tell us Youngsters, Lurch? That you can no longer mount the donkey from behind? :laugh:

I'm just getting healed up from a back injury and boy howdy, I know all about pain and not being able to get out of bed without sweat beads popping out on the forehead. And the recent injury is a reoccurance of an old back injury thirty some years ago when I too, was young and dumb!

I had no idea you had physical issues to deal with Lurch!

:poke: Say, I just met this woman and we were discussing her knee operation. The Dr. comes in the room after the operation and says to her about an "hour's window will tell if we have to amputate and the surgery did not go well" is what they did not tell her going in.

Lucky her, she recovered and is healing. I'm trying to get in her pants so I can maybe tell you more about the operation. Sheeze, after 3 minutes of what I need for my pos straight to stay in shape is hand assist or grab an old bag and fill her _______ Fill in the blanks I can still use my knees is climb on top that horse of a beach is she tall!

I'd use wheelchair is you look like there is nothing wrong with you is that kid wondering why you can get out of that car so easy is little do they know about pain is try racing for a few decades and find out about pain/level/management is the sheet time is the chits you can't even get out of bed to the point is it is easier to lay in your pee than get out of bed.

:rulez: Pay bye the rules is one body and no turning back.

You did it to yourself is no one's fault butt year own :beerchug:

:goodboy: AS s if boys will be boys you are wasting your time like me is what do you know is you are not to be trusted is over 30.

Huh?? :wtf:

I feel for you brother. Take life a little slower and find the roses. Kids will be kids and it is the smart few that heed a warning. Thanks for giving them the chance to.

Wow...44...dayum... :laugh: So, tell me, what was Lady Godiva like? :whistle:

But seriously, good advice, Kevin. If you get one person to change their thinking, then you done good.

:beerchug:

Please do not take this post the wrong way. I am in NO WAY looking for or wanting any sympathy. Projekt, Tuff, you know as well as I do what happens down the road after an injury. It is not fun.
I am just trying ot give first hand information to the kids that think they are bullet proof and indestructable like we thought we were back then.
I still attempt to do the things I love and enjoy. But as some saw first hand in the spring, sometimes we pay the price for still doing it.
I refuse to give up, but if I can help one kid like Scar said then I will feel better.
OH, and DO NOT GROW OLD.:laugh:

Good advice to all yougsters. :thumbsup:
Youth and adrenaline can overpower the pain.....for a while, then time to pay up for that decision.

good advice and good luck sir.

i ignored rehab instructions after injuring my ankle and it still bothers me to this day

Lurch, you are true in every word that you say. I blew my right knee out twice. Once playing college football and once while in basic training while I was in the military. Both times I did everything I was told to do and took the time to get back to normal life. I do have occasional knee pain here and there, but I am pretty much normal. You also need to know your own body and know when to push threw the pain. Sometimes if you just take it easy you may never get back to normal. I am 29yrs old.

Lurch: Great advice for the younger crowd. I know I was guilty of plenty of that in my youth, and I aure am paying for it now. I sure don't need the weather channel to tell me when its gonna rain!

Please do not take this post the wrong way. I am in NO WAY looking for or wanting any sympathy. Projekt, Tuff, you know as well as I do what happens down the road after an injury. It is not fun.
I am just trying ot give first hand information to the kids that think they are bullet proof and indestructable like we thought we were back then.
I still attempt to do the things I love and enjoy. But as some saw first hand in the spring, sometimes we pay the price for still doing it.
I refuse to give up, but if I can help one kid like Scar said then I will feel better.
OH, and DO NOT GROW OLD.:laugh:

Good advise but I have you beat by 15 years, but my advise to you is keep at the VA if you did this while in service. If you do not get what you feel you need at the facility your are being treated, do not be afraid of going right to the director, and even you congress man if needed. But it should not take that, just some people in C&P are of the old school and don't move your claim, but that is not the image the VA is trying to give now.

Back