Advice for new busa owner...so much power, any tips?

The first think you might notice is how much BIGGER it feels, you will get use to it. Also notice how we refer to asking the bike to do something, She is not one to be muscled easily. I think this is where the myth of the busa cant corner comes from. Just work on being smooth and the bike will respond, jerking the bike will just unsettle it and you will find out how quickly she bites.

I still get comment from my riding buddies (on cruisers) about how good and effortlessly I control my bike, It will come with time just start off slow.

I let my brother ride by bike when I was injured and he came back with this comment. "After ridding it in C-mode (GenII) I got on the freeway in A-mode and just about sucked out a filling." It has a lot of power but use it responsibly. If necessary find a track until some of the initial Horse power intoxication wears off, it will never go away.

Unlike Lamb Busa I use the rear brake sparingly such as on gravel inclines wet leaves and in parking lots at LOW speeds. Other then that the rear break is normaly a device to make the rear end step out. I leave the "backing it into a corner" to the pros like Ben Spies.

NO, no, no ,no.....NO > > > > :rulez: your right hand needs to be FULLY covering the throttle ONLY, and NOT touching ANY part of the bar ends at all!!! :

thanks for the advice. I thought if you have only half the throttle in your hand then the ends can help support your hand in case you go over a pothole and accidently roll the throttle on?

If you been riding since you were 12 and have ridden numerous bikes wouldnt one know the proper wrist angle and grip on a motorcycle?

If you read my initial post you will see that I said I did alot of stupid stuff on bikes when I was younger. What I mean by that is getting on the darn thing and just go. Opening up the bike in town, going fast and being reckless. I never gave two craps about control or proper throttle control, wrist position and being safe. What I did say in my post is that I"m trying to do all those things now. I know how to ride, but I'm sure you will agree there is a big difference between riding and riding with the proper skills and mentalitiy to control the bike and be safe.

Practice braking, braking, braking and please stay off the rear brake. its not a dirt bike. Stay off the rear brake please.

Thanks for this. Does she skid easy when you use the rear brake?

Be careful with the parking lots... Some of them tend to have a light coat of sand, dirt, bits of pavement, etc. built up on it that will cause your front tire to wash out on you. Just make sure you inspect the area you are gonna be practicing in before you start.

I keep my pinky on the bar end for that lil extra stability throughout the throttle... :dunno: always have, never had a problem.

And as some said above... Braking, braking, braking.... Practice at all speeds and all conditions...(preferably when you are not around anyone else)just in case!!

And above all enjoy the hell out of it and be safe... :thumbsup: ATGATT!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 from across the pond using Forum Runner

I see your bars(from your other post), I put the same kind on my gen2, for comfort reasons.
Those bars make manuvering the bike easier if anything, especially at low speeds.
The busa will handle, wheelie, stoppie, whatever, just as well as any other sportbike. It's only difference is a slightly longer wheelbase and engine width, that you will only notice in sharp cornering at the busa's upper limits(most riders never see)as opposed to a smaller bike. Anyone who tells you otherwise just can't ride. The busa's extra weight may/may not bother you personally, I never really notice until I get on a lighter bike.
So in other words, it's just another bike and as said, it's all in the wrist.
Relax, just keep riding until you become comfortable with basic daily driving.
Let your focus be on your surroundings, and what's in front of you.
Riding the bike should be second nature, with all your concentration on the "what ifs" and who is about to pull out in front of you...without worrying or being paranoid about it.
As far as it being said that you should never have your hand/fingers on the bar end, I disagree.
You should ride comfortably and not have a deathgrip on the bars.
Staying off the back brake is good advice, but it works nice for drifts!:laugh:
The Busa will do almost anything a dirtbike will do too(or any other bike for that matter)! Until you run out of tread/grip, ground clearance, or suspension travel.
Riding is practice, so go ride it!:beerchug:

ATGATT!!!! Had a buddy do a face plant at 90 on the highway doing wheellies because of "the beast". He got up and walked away! In fact he went home and reported his bike stolen!! :rofl: ATGATT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rulez:

to further the story he got home and realized he didn't have his wallet and so went back to the "scene of the crime" to find it and the cops met him there!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::banghead::banghead:

I beat you to it I already have it! Thanks anyway man. While reading I realize how much I don't know. that book is awesome.

Okay here is my first Q. Not sure what section this goes in.

My throttle has a little "play" to it. It makes my gear shifting kinda weird. On my old gixxer 1100 it wasn't such a big deal but now, let me see if i can explain. Maybe I need to get used to it I don't know :

first gear. Pull away. Pull in the clutch and let go of the throttle, shift to 2nd. Now, the little "play" my throttle has causes me to turn it and then once the gas kicks in kinda jerks my bike. I tried shifting quicker but that little "play" it has in the beginning when you turn it let's it jerk a bit. I hope this makes sense. Is there a cable or something by the throttle to tighten or something?

If it is a Gen II there is a rubber boot by the throttle the adjustment is under there. Off the top of my head I think it needs to have 1/16" play and it comes loose from the factory. Just make sure the idle stays the same when the handlebars are at full lock left and right. That could make slow maneuvering interesting.

Thanks but it's a Gen I 2005 model. I see the two go into the throttle but which one does what?

One opens and one closes it.
You can make small adjustments on the wheels.
Try one at a time and do not turn them very far.
It makes it easier to correct if you go the wrong way.
You can get most of the play out, but not all of it.:beerchug:

damn she's powerful. cruising to work 6th and on the uphill if I give a little gas she takes off. if I ease on it and gradually give her some more she's smooth. unbelievable no downshifting.
will adjust the throttle Sunday with a buddy who knows more than me.

I put my baffles in but she's still loud. looks like I'll have to save for a more softer pipe than the 2brothers.

the handlebars are good but I'm very upright. I'm 6'4 with long arms so I have to bend over if I get on interstate and get to 70mph. otherwise I feel like a kite.

oh and gets a lot of attention from people in their cars. ha.

more to come after a long ride Sunday morning...

Last edited:
Back