adjusting new chain???

trevor

Registered
I am getting ready to cut the new chain , do I make it so rear axle is all the way adjusted in when I cut the chain or do I go half way in the adjustment?

Could you re-phrase your question please?
I don't know what you are asking.
Are you putting on a new chain?

Me, I would cut the chain to the same length that I took off.

Otherwise, you may want to have the adjustment all the way in (maybe a little bit of room), that way when the chain stretches you will have more room to tighten it up...

Cut it to the same number of links.

+1

I've cut a new chain before to where the axle fit all the way forward... Big no..no... I believe this caused me to replace that chain after a few thousand miles due to possibly overtightening and improper slack specifications..
SEE LINKY
Thanks to the great folks in here, almost made the same mistake twice.
Use the same amount of links as the old chain. Also a VERY good idea to change both front and rear sprockets with a new chain as they wear and fit together.

Last edited:
+1

I've cut a new chain before to where the axle fit all the way forward... Big no..no... I believe this caused me to replace that chain after a few thousand miles due to possibly overtightening and improper slack specifications..
SEE LINKY
Thanks to the great folks in here, almost made the same mistake twice.
Use the same amount of links as the old chain. Also a VERY good idea to change both front and rear sprockets with a new chain as they wear and fit together.
+100 on changing sprokets with chain or visa-versa.

I Just replaced my chain but did not replace the sprockets. Not replacing all isn't usually a good mechanical practice but for some reason the sprockets were in great shape but the chain had a ton of tight spots so it had to go. I simply broke the chain and laid it on the floor. My dealer had 120 link chain so I laid it on the floor next to my old chain and cut it the same length (112 links). I think if you run the axle forward you propbably will run into over tensioning problems and rapid chain and sprocket wear. Once new chain was on I took a set of venier calipers and mic'd from the flat on the adjusting stud to the side of the square axle holder. Once I had that measurement I was able to duplicate on the other side. You can sight down the chain line and see how the rear sprocket is picking up on the chain. You want th:beerchug:ose sprocket teeth to be in the center of the roller as much as possible. Lots of good advice of chain swapping, tightening etc. in the pinned section too. Hope this helps. Wardie

Trevor, we're under the impression that you have no extension swingarm, and your sprockets are somewhere in the vicinity of the stock #'s, so 112 links including master would be appropriate..... :super:

wardie;2027710 Once new chain was on I took a set of venier calipers and mic'd from the flat on the adjusting stud to the side of the square axle holder. Once I had that measurement I was able to duplicate on the other side. [/QUOTE said:
I thought I was the only one who broke about the venier calipers to do alignment... :beerchug:

Back