Adjusting Manual Cam Chain Tensioner

milesbm

Donating Member
Registered
I was just wondering what the specs. were to adjust the tensioner to when installed? Torque specs., etc. Also, how often should the tensioner be checked?

bump.gif

Going to install this tomorrow and just want to adjust it correctly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would highly reccomend staying with the factory Tensioner. No maintenance and they have pretty much fixed the issues associated with the old ones that had problems. Just my opinion.

The reason is all I do is drag race. Full throttle or nothing is all i do. Don't have to worry about the tensioner backing off this way.

WOW!!!! 17/53 gearing..I bet that's fun
firedevil.gif
Don't know for sure yet as I got the sprocket for Christmas. I had been running 15/41 gearing and the shiftlight was just coming on at the top of 4th gear in the quarter. I talked with Ryan Schnitz at the US Nationals and he told me to run a 47 tooth rear to top out 6th in the quarter. I wanted to go back to the 17 tooth front (chain/sprocket wear is better) and that puts me at the 53. If I had to guess it will probably sound like a Pro Stock Motorcycle shifting as I will have to go through the first couple gear changes really fast.

Wow, no one offered any help yet. Most of the time it takes about 5 minutes to get help on things like this.

bump.gif

If your speaking of the chain tension. I would start backed off if its new chain/sproket. Then work your way to 20-30mm (0.8-1.2inch) movement.. Id go for tighter for race. The key is to make sure the reference marks on the swing arm are the same so it rides true. Do you not have a pit doing this for ya?
whistling.gif

Stock engine? The factory tensioner is fine. I've got buds that race every Friday night for years and never had a problem.

Back