Adjusting chain tension

KoolWhip

Registered
Just wondering if there is a "how-to" somewhere, that shows the proper way to adjust the chain on these busa's. I think mine might be a little loose, so any input would be nice! Thanks!

Ross

Click the photo to see the actual size, then click that photo again.

chain_006.jpg

Buy a good service manual. It'll show you everything.  

Here's a good way to adjust your chain.  Put the bike in neutral and on the kickstand.  
You'll be checking the slack using the bottom section of chain.  
Find the middlepoint of the chain between the rear axle and the swingarm pivot.
Use a ruler or some type of measuring tape and hold it in place.  
Suzuki calls for about 1.25inch slack.
(I usually set mine at 1inch, go for a ride around the block to seat the chain and then recheck the slack.  
Alot of times when you adjust a chain it settles and loosens somewhat.)
I've heard several ways to check measurement and this is the way i like best. I divide the 1.25 measurment in half or close to it.
Push up on the chain lightly to remove the slack and measure the height, then let go and measure the height of the chain when it hangs free. The measurement should be half the desired slack. Then do the same pulling down. Both measurements should equal the chain slack of 1.25 to 1.50inch.
Or, if that confuses you. Here's an alternate way.  Push up, measure, pull down, measure. The distance between the high point and the low point should be your desired chain slack.

The adjusting is easy. Loosen the adjusters, 12mm and 10mm. Loosen the axle --1 3/8" i think--
Sometimes a smack with your palm is needed to move the tire. Always adjust the chain side first, then match the adjustment on the other side. Recheck the chain after.
Once the slack is good, tighten the axle FIRST, then snug the adjuster bolt locknuts. No need to go overboard when tightening the adjustment locknuts.

Hope i didn't make it out to sound harder than it really is. Because this is about as basic of maintenence as you can get.

If you want a walk through or just need some advice, call me.  I'll be happy to help.  
540-223-3785 Paul

Thanks guys for the help! Ill have to try it one night this week when I get time! Really appreciate it, you guys are really nice on this board!
thumb_up.gif
thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

I like to 'string' the rear wheel so the bike tracks perfectly straight. And I do prefer to adjust the chain on the work stand.

If you adjust the chain on the rear stand it'll be too loose once it's back on the ground.

Thanks guys again for all the input, i got it knocked out tonight. I had a friend come over that use to race professionally for Suzuki to give me a quick lesson on tightening the chain, not as hard as it seems at all!

As to the benefit of adjusting the chain on a centerstand there are two basic advantages & the 1st is that you can determine where (if actually anywhere) on the chain it is at its tightest point (I usually put a mark at that point) since most chains don't wear exactly evenly throughout a normal life. Sprockets can wear unevenly, too: often if the chain gets really loose or really tight exactly twice & 50% of the way around as you rotate the back wheel you have one (or more) worn sprockets.

The 2nd reason is that you can more easily insure that your adjustment is equal and even across the axle: looser on the sprocket side without a corresponding adjustment on the otherside can make for some VERY interesting handling proclivities at speed!

Since the manual's spec for chain play is with the bike on the sidestand you must also recheck to insure that THIS measurement is within the recommended spec. Once you compare the amount of free play with the bike on the centerstand with the correct corresponding sidestand freeplay spec you are in business.

This all presumes you 1) actually have a centerstand & 2) have standard swingarm & suspension geometry.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

There's more weight on the rear shock when the bike is vertical(On the rear stand). When the bike is on the side stand some of the bike's weight is supported by the kickstand, which in turn removes weight off the shock. Raising the rear slightly, altering the swingarm angle and loosening the chain. Too loose or too tight, it aint good.

I too have been wrenching myself for 20 years.

Once I get the chain adjusted I like to put the bike in gear and from the right side I lift the bike off the side stand and compress the suspension by resting my stomach on the seat and reaching down I check the chain tension when the front sprocket, swing arm pivot and axle are in the same plane ( or close to the same plane). When the sprockets and axle are in the same plane, the chain will be at its tightest. An easy way to check for alignment is to use a micrometer and measure from the back of the axle adjuster blocks the the back of the swing arm.

cheers
ken

Back