Adjustable Rake - Triple clamps

OB_KawAbuser

Registered
I will have some triple clamp sets (upper & lower)comming in the country in a months time.

These clamps will offer replaceable eccentric steering stem inserts to allow for a change in rake, these are common to road racing bikes. But I wondered how much interest there was with the Drag Racing folks. A lot of rake on a drag bike is a desireable change, yes?

Jeff lets just call it the american way

or because you can

or guys then could rake a bike for strip use and then just return their bike to normal after the weekend warrior syndrome has worn off. A lot easier than a torch.

or because no one can explain why we need titanium pipes on a bike that no one can ride to 100% of its potential anyway.

mostly I think its just the American way!

My company has already made some raked triple clamps. The ones we have made however are not an adjustable type. The way we have it figured is that once a person sets a rake for a particular style (rider style) of dragracing...this person will not be changing much. Besides, we could make them cheaper by
not making them adjustable. We currently have them for GSXR's, V-Max, some Harleys and soon to come Hayabusa. They are beautifully machined billet and could come in either a dragrace version without all the doo-dads for ignition switch and the like, or also in a version that will allow the racer to put all the original equipment back in place. They are awesome and made right here in America! Honestly, I am seeking distributors for them who would be willing to order in quantity. My goal is to send customers to my dealers. My e-mail is Klies ECP@aol.com
Website www.easterncycleperf.com

Supertuner, I agree with what your saying about cost, and having a fixed position on the rake.

Everytime I speak with someone coming out with a new product, one of the first things I ask them is; how can you make this and keep the cost down?

I've seen many people shy away from something good because the cost was out of thier reach.

Would I invest in a fixed, or an adjusable rake triple clamp?....only if the cost was less than sending the frame to a fabricater?

I need My frame raked this fall, somebody would have to show Me that the "adj rake triple clamp" was My best option.

but once its raked your not going to change it when its permanant. and most people like myself want to have our cake and eat it too

Once the frame is raked, I've found it a little harder to sell bike as anything other than dragbike. At least that was experience I had with my Kawi. Not everyone likes the handling that goes with frame job. Some of the cloverleafs were tricky. My .02 Jack.

Yes, Let us know when you have them in hand and have an idea on price. A picture might be worth the effort also. Thanks, Jack.

Guess I feel the need to say "why", 99.99999% of all riders on the street would never need this (or have a clue how to use them).

If you going road racing then I can understand, but then again road racing a Hayabusa is not very smart.

So flame if you will, just me spouting off.....

That is why the raked triple clamps are desireable...it allows the rider to return the bike to stock condition if desired. I have raked plenty of the newer style sportbike frames and all of them have an elaborate "infrastructure" at the rear of the neck that makes them difficult to rake. I have done them successfully, but think of this as well...not only is the raked clampset
reversible, but also it is not necessary to strip the bike down to cut the neck off and all the required laborious work necessary to get it back together. A decent home mechanic could install these raked triple clamps in an afternoon in his home garage by simply removing and re-installing his front end. I want to make a bunch of these..anyone want to distribute them? R&D is complete...they work on all the models we have put them on so far and I have dragracers out there going over 170 MPH with them.

Hey jeff, "roadracing a busa isnt very smart". ????? Tell that to yosh, maybe kawabuser can add something to this with his knowledge of the bike ridden by rad greaves.
I would like to lay the sportourer image to rest. Have you pushed yours hard enough to find out?

And "Tricks" are for Kids and Hayabusa's.

Omega I will have the triple clamp sets in a few weeks, SuperTuner is our areas finest Dyno man and has a slightly differant approach to the adjustable clamp construction. His are machined with a differant rake which is preset at the time of order. The European product I am offering has differant inserts you purchase to change rake.

SuperTuner's product is also available as a variable insert part as well, the typical construction offered by him is a single preset choice.

I have seen his product several months ago and like he says
"american product - american pride",
very well made by a man who can serve customers as individuals.

In will keep the information comming as it avails itself, don't think the Hayabusa is just for beating up XX's and ZX's. Greaves machine is mostly a product of weight loss and suspension, those Yosh motors are not all too radical - remember they are still OEM bores.....

Im fascinated by busas built for weight reduction and handling like the X1's and your bike as well. I'm right behind ya.

Omega, name a race Rad has won with his busa.... he gets beat every time by a Honda 900RR. The bike is over weight and does not turn well (when looking at the rest of the Formula Xtreme bikes).

I have also talked with Rad, he will tell you the same thing. Sh*t the Honda makes > 190 hp in race trim.

The busa is a great bike, but just like the GSXR1100 (many time endurance champ of the 80's early 90's with Team Hammer) it's just way heavy to race against the new generation of bikes.

Adjustable triples, titanium pipes, magnesium rims, aluminum bolts, carbon brake lines, carbon fiber body panels, Ti retainers, bigger cams, yeah... I love it. So what if I can't use it to it's fullest? I can't unload my bike on the street, on a daily basis, either. Does that mean I should sell it and get a 250? No, you buy all this stuff for the one time you might see it's benefit. You put it all on there for the same reason Harley guys put flames on their bikes, because you want to make it "yours." If I bought my bike and left it stock how would I know it from any other Joe's bike? Myself personally, I'm an addict. I can't stop tweaking. Just as the Visa card people, they'll tell ya. I'm the kinda guy speed shops dream about.

(Flick of a lighter) Hi my name is Jamie and I'm a modifaholic.

It started out small, first a pipe, then an air filter and a jet kit. Then the rod bearing let go and the engine needed fixed. I pulled the crank, had it stroked, I added a big bore kit, studs, I ported the head, had the transmission under cut (tremble....) (whispering) I can't stop.

HELP ME!!

Modifaholic huh?

Maybe I should've hired you last May?

I have a lot of respect for the guy that tries what few other have!

Think about the R&D guys that put all those hours and money in...from the get go!

Those are the ones that deserve the most credit!

I must say....I think that Brock Davidson is one of the most dedicated persons I've ever met in the industry. He's been in it a long time.

He has to have one of the most understanding & supportive families out there!

Jamie, I wish you also had a Busa....I'm sure you could have made things a lot easier for people like Me?!?

All I can say is....Jump into todays technology, it's a BLAST!!!!

Average, I don't have any special riding skills that would set me appart from any other rider out there. Although the more I talk to other riders I notice that a lot of them are afraid of high speeds (triple digits). The top end doesn't scare me as much as riding on the Beltway in Baltimore. (CAN I GET AN AYMEN?)

I like the low RPM grunt of a big engine. Tom McQueen's 1500cc engine buildup is enough to make me want to buy a Busa just to build one. But then again I am a Modifaholic.

EXAMPLE: I changed the timing belt on my girlfiend's car when it broke and I actually (in the back of my mind) hoped that the valves were bent so that I'd have a reason to clean up the ports in the head and manifolds. Sick huh?

I can't leave anything stock for long, hell my wead wacker now sports a 72 tooth circular saw blade, not one of those weak 3 tooth garden blades. It will buzz straght through a three inch thick tree with a good build up of RPM and a clean swing.

Did you ever see Tim the tool man?

Riding the bike is only a way of proving that the mods I made work, that's why I also dig dynos. If I owned one I'd never take my bike off of it.

Rambling,
Jamie

PS I only add the 1206cc ZX11 part so that a newbie doesn't confuse me with a Busa owner. And so that all the anti ZX11ers reading don't confuse my 150hp claims with those of a stock ZX-11 owner's rants.

Back