Adjust Valves?

LiBusa

Registered
My 03 Busa has 20,300 miles on the odemeter. One shop says I need to get the valves adjusted another shop says I don't. What tells me that I need to?

Yes at least check the valves. I think the manual says earlier then 20,000 if I remember. You also need to be careful. Many shops will charge you for adjusting weven though they just check them.

You need to at least have them checked and see if they are out of adjustment.
+1"¦. I just rolled over 15k and the service manual says get em checked/shimmed at 15, went to 3 different shops and the shop foremen all said that if I haven't noticed any changes in power or if something don't feel right then leave em alone, and don't worry about it.  All depends on how you ride too.  If you've ridden the bike like it was meant to be ridden then I defiantly would get em at least checked, my  
2cents.gif

It's part of your regular (first-major) service. The shop has a check-list which must be followed when they're performing this service.

I've taken my first three 'busa's through that inspection, and none of them has ever required an adjustment.

The shop/service-writer should give you the measured specs (ask for them if they're not proffered) with the completed, signed (by the technician) check-list when they're going over the results of the service with you.

My Gen2 is going in this week for that service.

If you have any other questions, please make them known...we'll do what we can.

lurk.gif

The real worry is that one or more of them will get tighter, not loose. You won't hear the tight ones until BAM, so yes, have them checked.

My manual says 24000 Km (about 19000 miles) I wouldn't skimp on that one and get a reputable mechanic to look at them. Mine's going in for just that work. Also take a look if there's dirt around your head gasket looks oily)it may be a sign of a leak.

Checking 'em doesn't change anything. Adjust them if they're out of tolerance, otherwise, button it back up and change the plugs and synch the throttle bodies while you're in there.

--Wag--

You need to check them every 15,000 miles. I'm coming up on 45,000 miles without adjustment, but they are just at minimum tolerance. I'll need to have it done this winter.

Back