Additives.

ks-waterbug

Group Buy Guy
Donating Member
Registered
Wondered if anyone was using any kind of additives in their Busa? EngineIce Dave, where can I get some of your product? What about cleaners? Do's and Don'ts? A friend of mine uses Eagle One fuel additive and swears by it. But I'm skeptical.

I use premium gas, havent had to use any additives yet. Changing my oil again next week and going to use synth.

Xylene on high end runs. now that I have mist on the bike I no longer will need the Xylene.

Wondered what octane rating premium is in your neck of the woods? Very rare around here to find anything over 91! Welcome to Hillbilly Heaven.

91 is the going rate out here in Cali as well. I sell 110 at cycle gear but I am not sure you will get a feel for it on the street. These bikes produce so much power that a lot of it goes unused depending on what your doing. Just my 2 pennies.

Marc "Howlin Mad"

93 octane is pretty common here in Georgia. I've run 87 octane in the 'busa and it seems to do just fine. 10W40 oil and 87 octane, this thing is a hammer, it doesn't care!

Just curious, since my jet-ski is running between 95/98 octane. Wondered how hard it was to get the higher octane without having to buy 30 gallons of VP/Sunoco. I would love to run 93 octane in the Busa, makes me feel safe. I'm sure however that 87 is probably addequate.

Wondered what octane rating premium is in your neck of the woods? Very rare around here to find anything over 91! Welcome to Hillbilly Heaven.
That is strange. I thought they sold what we have all over the country.

I can get 94 at Sunnoco, but they sell 93 at all gas stations. I rarely see 91. It is 87/89/and 93. That is the norm. I usually run 89.

There is a Sunnoco near here that carries 104 at the pump.

The guys I know running Nutec (110 octane, I think) have to rejet or map to get the benefits of it, otherwise it is wasted.

Lot's of controversy on "fuel"...I always laugh inside my helmet
abit..pumping 87 octane.....runs fine..beast....i use "Stabil"
in the winter to keep it from gumming up.....

I can get 94 at Sunnoco, but they sell 93 at all gas stations. I rarely see 91. It is 87/89/and 93. That is the norm. I usually run 89.

There is a Sunnoco near here that carries 104 at the pump.
wow.gif

I have never seen over 94 at the pump. How much does that 104 run??

Better question? What octane does the bike use (not rider). Just kidding............................
I've seen a Harley rider or two fall over at a stop light.
Alcohol and bikes don't mix!

Octane is just so you can burn slower. If you are not pushing over 175hp a lower octane is fine. I ran my busa on 87 until I started pushing 180hp. Then I went to 94 from the Connecticut pumps. Then I went to 94 ples Xylene on turbo. i should be able to keep it at 93 with the Mist systems now. i will still pop in Xylene for a hard long top end run.

NE: How much xylene do you add? Have you tried toluene?

As you know, I am a chemist, so I often have 4-liter bottles of very high purity xylene, toluene, etc. Maybe I should bring one home...?

Also, did you raise your boost to go with the mister? If not, why did you add it?

Thanks

Hey guys, running higher octane gas in an unmodified or mildly modified Busa is a waste of $$$. Like NE said, it burns SLOWER and will deposit carbon in the engine.

Kerbie, I highly recommend you not run 100 octane in your Busa regularly... unless you enjoy changing plugs..

Yes, I was aware of the reason for running higher octane. But I wasn't sure where the Busa stood in its stock form. My old Nissan 300 twin turba used only high octane gas. It still suffered from a serious lack of performance (I'll stick with good old American Steel from this point on). Not sure about 4 strokes, but in the 2 stroke world we were advised by are sponsers not to run AV gas! Would that same bit of info apply here? I know there are some additives to this fuel source that are harmful to two strokes. What do you think Doc?
Want to get educated about fuels goto this website (1st of two part series). This info is obtained from a PWC engine builder. Personel Water Craft, PWC. The info is alittle old but still usefull.
http://www.groupk.com/tec-gas96.htm

NE:  How much xylene do you add?  Have you tried toluene?  

As you know, I am a chemist, so I often have 4-liter bottles of very high purity xylene, toluene, etc.  Maybe I should bring one home...?

Also, did you raise your boost to go with the mister?  If not, why did you add it?

Thanks
No I left the boost at 8lbs max cut of at 10lbs.

Only reason I did it is to eliminate premature detonation. Low octane just burns to fast even with negative timing.

Toulene actually works a little better then Xylene, it is just harder to find around here. you being a chemist can firgure out theat a mix of both plus some mineral spirts is even better. It would give you an Octane of about 105 on a 94octane fuel. Blowing up one motor in the past i look at every precaution i could find. The AquaMist system should eliminate the trips to home Depot.

93 in my stock engine. Though I'm sure 87 would run as well. If gas gets up to $2 i may start running 87 .......lol

NE:  How much xylene do you add?  Have you tried toluene?  

As you know, I am a chemist, so I often have 4-liter bottles of very high purity xylene, toluene, etc.  Maybe I should bring one home...?

Also, did you raise your boost to go with the mister?  If not, why did you add it?

Thanks
No I left the boost at 8lbs max cut of at 10lbs.

Only reason I did it is to eliminate premature detonation.  Low octane just burns to fast even with negative timing.

Toulene actually works a little better then Xylene, it is just harder to find around here.  you being a chemist can firgure out theat a mix of both plus some mineral spirts is even better. It would give you an Octane of about 105 on a 94octane fuel. Blowing up one motor in the past i look at every precaution i could find.  The AquaMist system should eliminate the trips to home Depot.
How much xylene and toluene do you add to a tank of gas?

Thanks

Back