Additives.

Yes, I was aware of the reason for running higher octane. But I wasn't sure where the Busa stood in its stock form. My old Nissan 300 twin turba used only high octane gas. It still suffered from a serious lack of performance (I'll stick with good old American Steel from this point on). Not sure about 4 strokes, but in the 2 stroke world we were advised by are sponsers not to run AV gas! Would that same bit of info apply here? I know there are some additives to this fuel source that are harmful to two strokes. What do you think Doc?
Want to get educated about fuels goto this website (1st of two part series). This info is obtained from a PWC engine builder. Personel Water Craft, PWC. The info is alittle old but still usefull.
http://www.groupk.com/tec-gas96.htm
Not sure why it would be bad to run AV fuel in a 2-stroke, other than the slower burn rate. With the crazy high RPMs of a 2-stroke, the higher octane fuel may not burn completely in the motor.... just a guess...

Here you go...

FORMULA 1
Toulene
R+M/2...114
Cost...$2.50/gal
Mixtures with 92 Octane Premium
10%...94.2 Octane
20%...96.4 Octane
30%...98.6 Octane

FORMULA 2
Xylene
R+M/2...117
Cost...$2.75/gal
10%...94.5 Octane
20%...97.0 Octane
30%...99.5 Octane

FORMULA 3
Methyl-tertiary-butyl-ether (MTBE)
R+M/2...118
Cost...$3.50/gal
10%...94.6 Octane
20%...97.2 Octane
30%...99.8 Octane

FORMULA 4
Methanol or Ethanol
R+M/2...101
Cost...$0.60 - $1.75/gal
10%...94.3 Octane (Methanol)
10%...94.7 Octane (Ethanol)
20%...Not Recommended

FORMULA 5
Isopropyl Alcohol and Tertiary Butyl Alcohol
R+M/2...101
Cost...$0.60-$1.50/gal
10%...94.5 Octane
20%...Not Recommended
30%...Not Recommended
Notes: Similar to Methanol/Ethanol. Isopropyl Alcohol is simply rubbing alcohol.

You most likely know more then me on that one. I am not sure what they stand for, however the formula is a standard fformula for figuring the octane levels. i think there are 2 different ways to figure the octane R+M/2 is one of them.

Gasoline pumps typically post octane numbers as an average of two different values. Often you may see the octane rating quoted as (R+M)/2. One value is the research octane number (RON), which is determined with a test engine running at a low speed of 600 rpm. The other value is the motor octane number (MON), which is determined with a test engine running at a higher speed of 900 rpm. If, for example, a gasoline has an RON of 98 and a MON of 90, then the posted octane number would be the average of the two values or 94.

High octane gasoline does not outperform regular octane gasoline in preventing engine deposits from forming, in removing them, or in cleaning the engine. Consumers should select the lowest octane grade at which the car's engine runs without knocking. Occasional light knocking or pinging won't harm the engine, and doesn't indicate a need for higher octane. On the other hand, a heavy or persistent knock may result in engine damage.

Standard cars yes. You get a knock in a turbo forget it. That is why the higher the octane for the long runs.

Back