Adding to the collection (and a short review)

PandaNin

Donating Member
Registered
Today the famous brown box arrived at the office

pic1.jpg

So I opened it up to discover another box

pic2.jpg

Which I opened to discover a bag

pic3.jpg

Which I opened to discover this!

pic4.jpg

Backside

pic5.jpg

Then I went outside to play with it and discovered this!!!!

pic6.jpg

Ok, time for review.

GMax 68S Helmet
I ordered platinum which online looked more like the silver on my bike. It's obviously a lot darker but still a nice color. Flat, no gloss.

I also paid the additional $25 for the incorporated sun visor so I don't have to keep switching between glasses and sunglasses. When it's up it is in the airstream, so I expect noise when not down.

I assumed the LEDs on back were wind-driven like I've seen but they aren't. There is a button on the back you push to activate. 1-push = always on; 2=blinking; 3 = hyper blink; 4 = off. The LEDs are very bright and nicely angled. When in the normal, i.e. non-I'm blowing by you at 186mph, riding position they are pointing straight backwards, not up to the sky.

I'm a size XL and the fit is perfect. I also have a Shoei RF-1000 that fits perfect and this matches that fit.

The interior build quality is less than what I'm used to wearing, but seems like it'll do the job. You can see the foam just over the ear opening.
IMG_0132.jpg

It has a total of 6 vents that can be opened/closed so I expect good airflow.
I can't road test it yet but I suspect all these vents are going to be a bit noisy. Looks like Sunday I'll be able to ride again and I'll update.

Nice! :thumbsup:

Love my Gmax. Bit louder(not very) then some helmets,but moves plenty of air thought it. Which is why I went with it. Get very warm here in Florida.

I like that flip down sunshade. I'm curious how much buffeting you get with it flipped up though?

I also like the led's on the back.

Here's the visor in complete up position

pic1-1.jpg

And side view
pic2-1.jpg

Wearing the helmet I realized I wouldn't need it in the full up position. Having it here is more than enough for me to see straight forward. I rarely look into the sky at night :)
pic3-1.jpg

and side view
pic4-1.jpg

Hopefully Sunday I can give a ride review for everyone.

Recommend you be VERY CARFUL around the wiring when changing/installing batteries in the rear blinker, I've had alot of trouble with mine wanting to not work/short out. It's a very tight fit.

Great looking lid. I also like the flip down sunscreen. Might have to invest after the rest of the review.

looking good. Do share the online link if it's a good deal. Am looking for a 2nd one in addition to my RF1000. Looking forward for the review.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ok, road test report time

Fitment: It fits my head pretty good. I am wearing a thin balaclava cause it's cold outside. The strap is a bit too long but does snap back onto itself. The helmet is not too heavy however I don't get the feeling of substantialness (new word) I get with my Shoei.

I tested all the options at 3 different speeds:

40mph
Sunvisor down, vents open
You can really feel the air moving through the helmet. It's only 50* out so it's on the chilly side. The visor does exactly what it should do. I can see my gauges clearly yet I see forward through the shaded portion. This is definitely nicer than changing from glasses to sunglasses and back. The vents are definitely noisy. It's not bothering me but I can tell they are there.

Visor up, Vents open
You can really feel the air moving through the helmet. It's only 50* out so it's on the chilly side. The visor is buffeting and I don't think it'll hold on at anything over 70mph.

Vents closed, Visor up or down
Umm, who started whistling? Oh, it's those vents. The wind is singing to me now. That's annoying.

70mph
Sunvisor down, vents open
The air is really moving around my head, this would work great when it gets hot out. The visor isn't moving and I can see perfectly.

Visor up, Vents open
The visor is threatening to leave me now. It's REALLY buffeting. I tried putting it at every position and anything except down causes a major buffet. I should note I have a Suzuki double-bubble windscreen.

Vents closed
Woah, that's loud. I don't think I could take more than 10 minutes of this.

triple-digit speeds**
I'm not lifting the visor or it's a waste of $25
The vents can be open or closed, regardless, I can't hear the exhaust. It's just too loud. I actually had to slow down, what a concept.

** ummm, triple-digit speeds were simulated in a wind-tunnel because I would neeever do that anywhere but on a track

Verdict: This helmet is nice for cruising around town, it gets looks. It's very unique appearance and that menacing color got attention at stop lights. It might be best for riding on the VTX for highway use. Bigger windscreen should redirect most airflow over it. Not for use on Busa's at highway speed or higher.

Last edited:
Totally concur with your assessment, those big scoops are nice for getting some air in there on hot days, but it will just about hold your body up once you get over 80 MPH (not to mention a gust stripping you off your bike). I still like if for a 'ride to work' helmet.

Back