adding more ethanol to our gas....

Well aside from the damage / possible damage; it cost the consumer because alcohol reduces overall fuel mileage. I still get 100% gas locally and look for it when I travel, but it's not always available.

In my area.... you cant trust the gas stations.. pump says premium, you pay for premium.... but its not premium.... (i know the guy that unloads the fuel)..... Ethanol is a loosing market. If the gov has to subsidize it to keep it going and its not improving fuel mileage....

Just sayin...

100% ethanol is a pretty badass race fuel and nice for a cleaner (as long as your not using rubber or paper gaskets!)

In my area.... you cant trust the gas stations.. pump says premium, you pay for premium.... but its not premium.... (i know the guy that unloads the fuel)..... Ethanol is a loosing market. If the gov has to subsidize it to keep it going and its not improving fuel mileage....

Just sayin...

100% ethanol is a pretty badass race fuel and nice for a cleaner (as long as your not using rubber or paper gaskets!)

Much ado over nothing.

Ethanol subsidies ended last year.

As noted in the article "Ethanol blends of 25 percent have been used for years in Brazil with no ill effects on the same cars sold in the U.S."

Don't run it in small engines and you'll be fine.

Plenty of guys are running E-85 in Busas that were not intended for more than E-10.

Im not saying its going to ruin your engine.... The real question is - are you OK with running your engine a little lean? With more and more ethanol in the fuel, it requires more fuel to be burned to keep your O2s in check. Its probably ok for your car/truck because they have O2 sensors and do adjust for things like that.

I like the line "Oil companies say it's more expensive than gasoline." Corn must be handled several times before it can become ethanol. Plant, spray/fertilize, harvest.. and thats if you take it directly to the ethanol refinery. add 2 if it goes to storage..

Costing me $$$ for a new chainsaw carb right now!

It's either pay out the A to drive 20-30 minutes away to fill up the fuel jugs or pay out the A to rebuild stuff two years later...either way I still pay out the A$$ for this government mandated blend!!!

I note quite a difference in gas consumption with 10% Ethanol, can only imagine that there is a performance loss as well.

I think they should designate special pumps for the stoked up liberals to get 50% greener fuel. They can buy it, feel good, and give the rest of us jobs fixing their stuff. I want the old Sunoco blue 260....

From Reuters:

Congressman Bob Goodlatte of Virginia on Wednesday introduced legislation that would essentially eliminate the RFS in order, he said, "to help protect consumers, producers, and the American economy."

Goodlatte and fellow Republican Steve Womack of Arkansas was joined by Democrats Jim Costa of California and Peter Welch of Vermont and other lawmakers.

The legislation would eliminate corn-based ethanol targets, which make up the vast majority of the biofuel mandate. It would also cap the amount of ethanol that can be blended into gasoline at 10 percent, while requiring the government to set targets for cellulosic ethanol use at levels of actual production.

Refiners have been required to buy credits for cellulosic biofuels, made from sources such as grasses, wood chips and agricultural waste, even though the fuel has not been commercially available.

The lawmakers backing the bill said the renewable fuel mandate has raised corn prices, pushing up food prices and hurting livestock producers.

"The debate is over," Costa said at a press conference. "The RFS, as we know it, is not sustainable and it's not good for American long term energy needs."

Goodlatte said he believes support for changing the mandate is growing and that this effort may succeed where prior measures have stumbled

From Reuters:

Congressman Bob Goodlatte of Virginia on Wednesday introduced legislation that would essentially eliminate the RFS in order, he said, "to help protect consumers, producers, and the American economy."

Goodlatte and fellow Republican Steve Womack of Arkansas was joined by Democrats Jim Costa of California and Peter Welch of Vermont and other lawmakers.

The legislation would eliminate corn-based ethanol targets, which make up the vast majority of the biofuel mandate. It would also cap the amount of ethanol that can be blended into gasoline at 10 percent, while requiring the government to set targets for cellulosic ethanol use at levels of actual production.

Refiners have been required to buy credits for cellulosic biofuels, made from sources such as grasses, wood chips and agricultural waste, even though the fuel has not been commercially available.

The lawmakers backing the bill said the renewable fuel mandate has raised corn prices, pushing up food prices and hurting livestock producers.

"The debate is over," Costa said at a press conference. "The RFS, as we know it, is not sustainable and it's not good for American long term energy needs."

Goodlatte said he believes support for changing the mandate is growing and that this effort may succeed where prior measures have stumbled

Makes more sense than burning food through the cars...

Much ado over nothing.

Ethanol subsidies ended last year.

As noted in the article "Ethanol blends of 25 percent have been used for years in Brazil with no ill effects on the same cars sold in the U.S."

Plenty of guys are running E-85 in Busas that were not intended for more than E-10.

I believe those are race bikes that have been modified to run that fuel. Do you know anyone running E-85 on the street, putting 15 - 20 K miles a year on it ?

I note quite a difference in gas consumption with 10% Ethanol, can only imagine that there is a performance loss as well.

Actually a slight performance bump if tuned for it. It does contain less energy, so the engine does use more of it.

I believe those are race bikes that have been modified to run that fuel. Do you know anyone running E-85 on the street, putting 15 - 20 K miles a year on it ?

I don't know anybody that puts on 15 - 20 k miles a year, gas or otherwise. The modification is simply a reflash of the ECU or add fuel via Bazzaz or PC.

Back