Adding armor to leather, can it be done?

Over_Easy

GEO-STABILIZATION EXPERT
Donating Member
Registered
When I purchased leather jackets for my wife and I last year, I purchased a Vanson perforated leather jacket for her. It's a $500 jacket I bought for $150. For those that know Vanson their stuff is top notch. It is stylish (she doesn't like the race look), but without giving it a lot of thought it didn't come with any armor and it doesn't have pre-designed pockets for armor either.

Has anyone ever had armor installed in a jacket that didn't come designed with armor?

My thought has been I could take it to a leather/tailor shop and they could sew pockets using the liner and the leather (which is double layered) for the flexible type CE armor. Any thoughts or experiences?

Call vanson, I bet you could send the jackets back to them and they could do it. plus I have heard their customer service is top notch.

Thanks for the ideas fellas. Another issue is that jacket fits her fairly snug. She wears a size 2 and the jacket is a Small so there is very little room for the armor itself...so whatever would be used likely needs to be along the lines of the flexible CE Knox Armor. I don't believe some of those full under armor systems with hard plastics would allow her to even get the jacket on.
???

Take it to a little dry cleaners and have them sew in pockets with velcro. Duct tape them where you want them at home and then have them do it. Make sure you talk down and agree upon a price first, or they'll try butt raping you when you pick it up!!

Back